Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have motor home with a isl 450hp cummins. ser #73161377.IT…

Customer Question
I have motor home with...
I have motor home with a isl 450hp cummins. ser #73161377.IT runs hot,i add antifreeze & it goes somewhere.It does not show on oil stick.No leaks anywhere running or turned off .What could be wrong??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/21/2016
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
You may want to check the egr cooler for leaking coolant. When this leaks it will allow coolant to exit the system VIA the exhaust.

To check the cooler remove the crossover tubing and check for wetness. If it is wet in the cooler it needs to be replaced and the egr/after treatment system cleaned. See pic i added for location toi check. You can check the outlet section too but that would require removing the cooler. Please don't forget to rate my service

have not received pictures
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, It's Dan. I would also like to add that if no wetness at the exhaust connections is found, look for white ash deposits indicating coolant burning in the exhaust. If found this is also an indication of an EGR cooler leak. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?