Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 8600 international truck. there is a

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 8600 international truck. there is a consistent air leak coming from the ext. port on the air governor air system does not build past 30 sometimes 60 and only once yesterday over 90psi and stayed consistent untill today. governor is new, intake on the compressor is clear and discharge line is also clear off of the compressor. air dryer was swapped out with a new one as well as it was also leaking from the discharge valve. no lines are kinked and all clear of debris. compressor also has strong pressure coming out of discharge port.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?

Thats it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
2/16/2016
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set this should be done first.If any codes are set the codes will need diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.IN some cases there may be a code set that will help pinpoint this leak/fault here.

Make sure no air lines or components are found leaking as well.In some cases I have had to use a smoke machine to inject smoke into the air system to locate any hard to see leaks and then repair those leaks from there.This may need further checking/tests to locate and repair any leaks but I would have the fault codes checked first.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi My name is***** will be glad to help with your air system. First if you have an air dryer on this truck check to see if it is plugged or leaking or if there are leaks in the supply line. Try bypassing the air dryer with a union to see if it will build air. If not and the governor is new and no air system leaks you likely have sticking unloader valve in the head of the compressor. They sell kits for them but it is not always successful in installing an unloader kit and compressor replacement becomes necessary. Let me know if you need more help.