Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I keep getting a code 3 balance max limit exceeded. It

Customer Question
I keep getting a code...
I keep getting a code for cyl 3 balance max limit exceeded. It doesn't come up tell I put my foot into it. It will not come up on a idle. I've put a new injector in and new valve cover harness
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
this is in a 2008 international with a maxforce engine
2/3/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi John, My name is***** 7, 10, 11, 13, etc? what chassis model? Also what are the actual code number you are getting? Let me know

4573 8003 0
Durastar
Dt466
The code comes snd goes
When at an idle The code is not there or says previously active when I put my foot into it and let off a couple times code shows up but once after about 5 to 10 minutes code goes away engine runs fine or when I do a cycle key
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi It is Dan. Are there any other codes or numbers with those codes?

No thats the only thing coming up
Everything on it is new turbo is new six new injectors two new egr coolers and EGR valve and valve cover Harness
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

4571 - 4576

8001 - 8006

0

Cyl (#) balance max limit exceeded

Cylinder Balance Operation

Many factors influence the combustion process in a power cylinder. This can affect the production of torque or horsepower from that cylinder. Some of the factors include piston and cylinder geometry, injector performance, and rail pressure. Variations in these factors can cause unevenness in torque and horsepower from one cylinder to the next. Power cylinder unevenness also causes increased engine noise and vibration, especially at low idle conditions. This is also referred to as rough idle.

The ECM uses a Cylinder Balance control strategy to even the power contribution of the cylinders, particularly at low idle conditions. This strategy incorporates information from the crankshaft position system. The ECM uses the instantaneous engine speed near Top Dead Center (TDC) for each cylinder as an indication of that cylinder's power contribution. The ECM computes a nominal instantaneous engine speed value based on all cylinders. The nominal value would be the expected value from all cylinders if the engine is balanced. By knowing the error quantities, the ECM can add or subtract fuel from a particular cylinder. The control strategy attempts to correct the cylinder unbalance by using fuel quantity compensation through adjustments of the pulse width values for each fuel injector. This method of compensation is repeated until all error quantities are close to zero causing all cylinders to contribute the same amount.

Cylinder Balance Diagnostics

DTC

Condition

Possible Causes

4561-4566

4571-4576

Cyl (#) balance below min limit

Cyl (#) balance max limit exceeded

• Electrical fault
  • Low fuel pressure
  • Aerated fuel
  • Contaminated fuel
  • EGR valve stuck open
  • Injection control system
  • Failed injector
  • Base engine compression imbalance

DTC 4561-4566 - Cylinder (#) balance below min limit

DTC 4571-4576 - Cylinder (#) balance max limit exceeded

The ECM continuously calculates the balance of each cylinder during normal engine operation. If a cylinder is under or over performing, a cylinder balance DTC will be set.

Pin-point Cylinder Balance Fault

1. Visually inspect engine for damaged or disconnected components.

• Check all fluid levels.
    • Check engine and control system for electrical or mechanical damage.

2. Check for other active DTCs that could cause a cylinder imbalance.

• If injector electrical faults are set, diagnose the electrical fault before diagnosing a cylinder imbalance.

3. Check fuel pressure, fuel aeration, and possible fuel contamination.

Note: These checks can be verified quickly by using the Fuel Pressure Test Gauge with shut-off valve. See Fuel Pressure and Aeration test in the "Hard Start and No Start" section of this manual.

4. Check ICP pressure and voltage.

• Check ICP voltage at KOEO.
    • See "Performance Specifications" appendix in this manual for specification.
    • Check ICP system pressure during KOER. Run KOER Standard Test.

5. Inspect EGR valve. Verify valve is not stuck open.

• Run KOEO Standard Test
    • Run KOER Air Management Test.

Repair any faults found in any of the preceding checks before continuing.

1. Run KOER Injector Disable Test to identify imbalanced cylinder.

2. Run Relative Compression Test to verify if cylinder imbalance is mechanical issue or injector issue.

If the Relative Compression Test fails the same cylinder as indicated by Injector Disable Test, the fault is a mechanical failure.

• Check crankcase pressure.
    • Check valve lash and brake lash (if equipped).
I've run the compression test run the disable test run the air management test run the standard tests EGR valve is brand-new ICP is brand-new and I run those tests also
All the electrical connections all look good on her some of the valve cover is brand-new
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

I would get a mechanical gauge on it and monitor fuel pressure as well as install a clear hose or site glass inline for the suction and return to monitor for air bubbles or fluctuations of fuel pressure, etc

All the electrical connections look good in the harness under the valve cover is brand-new
the fuel pressure on the service Max computer cannot be used I need to install a manual gauge
What will it mean if i have air bubbles on suction side or return side. Also what should my gauge read
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

It would mean you are sucking in air somewhere causing an aeration of fuel possible small leak on the suction side, damaged injector oring, etc. Service Max may not pick that up from the sensors.

If one of the injector pumps in the high-pressure rail was bad with that cause air
Cups not pumps
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes that is definitely a possibility.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson