Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Cummins isx lots of actuator problems was originally

Customer Question
breaking actuator bolts that hold...
Cummins isx lots of actuator problems was originally breaking actuator bolts that hold actuators together. Timing actuator on 123 cylinder . Have replaced 123 injectors by mechanic new relief valves on fuel system have done continuity test from ecm to all actuators. Have had entire fms sty system replaced. Truck has been deleted of egr and dpf. Thought might be program related and has seemed to fix actuators breaking but truck still idles rough. When u place one hand on front timing actuator and one on the rear front 123 timing actuator is not smooth u can feel pulses and surges like almost air or something. I am at my wits end truck has had complete inframe less than 30,000 km on it is a string reliable truck until this. Am tired of shops spending money guessing at the problem. Hope u can help. Economy in Alberta is way down and I need the rig to earn
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/1/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi James my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is it throwing any codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None displayed in cab
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the info... The fuel pressure should be between 275 and 325 psi and should not be allowed to rise above 350 unless there is a restriction in the return or if there has been any modifications to the fuel system. When these deletes and upgrades were done was there any modifications to the fuel system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just ecm tuning originally pdi now some GUY that was recommended from a friend mechanic. Fuel pressure on manual gauge max is 350 psi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I installed manual gauge to port by actuators and has check valve so during driving I could see max psi obtained
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No fuel mods done according to mechanic just ecm tuning
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

What was the max pressure? did the gauge peg?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Check the return for restrictions and also inspect the regulator for debris and sticking causing excessive pressure to build

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
350 max psi pegged at during all day use
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 11:20 pm here can I call u in am
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

The spec actually is up to 380 so I would pick up a 600 to 100PSI gauge for testing.... Here is a link I have for fuel pressure checks.... Is for low fuel pressure but still the same principle.

Fuel pressure checks

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes its 1:22 AM here EST and I was logging out as well. Ill send over the phone services link if you would like to call by phone tomorrow.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Fuel system information and component locations

Click the link above. Check for restrictions on the return side, through the ECM, and the pressure regulators.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi James, Did you get this resolved?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi, did you get this resolved?

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson