Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Just did a inframe on a c12 and engine won't start, no

Customer Question
codes, strong fuel pressure at...
just did a inframe on a c12 and engine won't start, no codes, strong fuel pressure at filter housing, took ecm to cat and had cked out ok, will run on either, and changed fuel ,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/27/2016
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?

Can you get me the engine serial number please?

May I ask why the engine was overhauled? Was there a failure?

the yellow light comes on, engine# ***** the engine spin a main bearing..

Thanks for the information.

So was the crankshaft replaced I assume? Was a short block installed?

a short block was installed

Thanks for the information.

The reason I ask is because there are two crankshafts for the C12. The early models had a chopper wheel bolted on the front of the crankshaft. The later models just had a tooth knocked off the gear. That's what you should have. If they gave you the early crank with a chopper wheel the engine will not start. It takes different software. Do you know what crank was in the short block?

the crank did not have a chopper bolted on the crank, it was a used short block it's engine #was 9NS67803, it's speed sensor was on the flywheel , thats where it's at now
the can sensor is the orig. one, right in front of the air compessor

I see. Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately a 9NS will not work with 2KS electronics. The 2KS needs to have the crank sensor on the crank gear. The sensor you see in the flywheel is a rpm sensor. Not a tdc crank sensor. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.

The cam sensor is also different than a 2ks.

The best way to repair would be to install 9NS electronics. To keep the 2ks electronics. The cam and crank will need to be replaced. I am sorry.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

what electronics would i need to change for it to work

You would need all of them. The ECM, all the sensors, and the engine harness.

The electronics of a 9NS and a 2KS are completely different.

I have the ECM, all sensors, and harness from ECM to sensors, but the harness end from cab to ECM is differant, i have the end but would need to find out what wire is for what
is injectors ok

Yes the ECM connector will need to be changes.

The injectors should be fine

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.