Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

The issue i'm having is on a TH83 Cat S/N 3RN04820. Anyway…

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** issue i'm having is on a TH83 Cat S/N 3RN04820. Anyway when the machine was first purchased we noticed that the coolant looked aweful oily. Also that the transmission wasnt working properly. So we drained the transmission oil to find some coolant in the bottom. We also figured thats where the oily coolant was coming from. Next we changed the transmission oil cooler and trasmission filter. The coolant was then fushed and replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The transmission worked better after that but not as good as it should of. Now the transmission has stopped working altogether and the oil smells completely burnt. along with making a really loud wining noise. like a pump cavitating . Any ideas on where to start.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/26/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Pat, My name is***** will be glad to help. Coolant is the worst thing to have in any engine or transmission due to its corrosive properties on the bearing surfaces, etc. Once the chemical process starts from coolant contamination, failure is inevitable and usually at the very least you will do a reaseal and rebearing

I dont believe the coolant was in the system for very long. We're on a budget, where can i find the clutch and bearing part numbers for this machine? Caterpillar doesn't give a break down of the transmission.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Whats your serial number? There should be a breakdown available

3RN04820 TH83
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Unfortunately with the burnt oil and the symptoms you are having it means the transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Remove the filter and cut it open using a filter cutting tool so you do not contaminate the sample with cutting filings and inspect a sample of the filter for metal and friction material which confirms the transmission failure. the burnt oil and the slipping is confirmation but inspecting the filter is also further confirmation. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If confirmed you may be able to save some money by purchasing used from a salvage. They can put this on a locator for you.

Okay I'm heading to cut the filter as we speak. I figure at the very least the torque converter will need to be replaced. I have that part number for the torque converter from cat. I also have an assembly/disassembly manual for the transmission. Unfortunately it does not have a parts break down. Neither does my local cat dealership. If you could help me find the part #'s for internal parts of the transmission that would be great. I would like to take it apart and inspect it, but do not want to do so with having no part numbers. Thanks
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If you find aluminum it will be converter and also likely charge pump

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If there is friction material then you will be looking at clutches too

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Click on this link. you can do a short subscription here to access the parts pages you need if the dealer will not help

Parts

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?