Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a freightliner 2005 columbia with 14 liter detroit 60…

Customer Question
Have a freightliner 2005...

Have a freightliner 2005 columbia with 14 liter detroit 60 series , just replaced turbo and now wastegate leaking oil on new turbo. what else could it be

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

just tried and was asked to pay 54 don't have that to pay is it any way to pay a lessor amount

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/25/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Are you leaking in the turbo inlet or exhaust as well? Remove the piping and see what else you have for oil. There is a good chance you have a bad new turbo.

the old turbo had oil in the intake but was not leaking out of waste gate purchased a reman one put it on and now leaking from waste gate. turbo also came with a new waste gate on it already
used 3 gals of oil in 3 days. also loosing power would run good then
lose power then back to running good.
what else should I be checking

I would be checking to see if you are getting oil out of the exhaust manifold. To be getting that much oil in that short of time is a huge concern!

That is why I was asking on which side you se oil on the inside of the turbo to get an idea of where the oil could be coming from and spitting out the wastegate. If it is both sides of the turbo, then the turbo rebuild that was done was not good and it is leaking at the internal seal. If on boost side, then the turbo has a blown impeller seal. If on the exhaust side, then it is coming from the engine and you could be having a need for a oil ring on one of the pistons.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Definitely look in those areas to narrow it down. If this didn;t occur until you got the turbo, then the new turbo was put together wrong.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?