Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a 2006 14L runs like it is on 2 or 3 cylinders. Ran the…

Have a 2006 14L runs...
Have a 2006 14L runs like it is on 2 or 3 cylinders. Ran the cylinder cut out test. Pulse widths ranged from 9.6-12.4. Baseline is 9.34. installed new injector harness, no better. Tried a known test ECM, still no joy. Am thinking possibly engine harness is bad?
1/21/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 6 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Pulse widths are out of range. You want to see them lower than that. Ideal is around 6, but it is hard to get that low.

Since you did what I was about to suggest, changed the injector harness, that leaves the main harness. You have a shor in it or the pins in the ECM are corroded or filled with oil/coolant. Pull the plug and make sure it is dry first. If dry, then you will be looking at a main harness.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
We checked the pins initially. Looked fine. No bent or corroded ones. When tried the test ECM, it made no difference. We just wanted another opinion before we replaced the main engine harness.
Appreciate it.

It completely sounds like the main harness then.

Jeremy,
Hate to say it but No Joy on the main wiring harness. We still have the same issue. Next idea. We are fresh out here.
Perplexed.
Keith
H&J

You did a Test ECM so that is ruled out. You did harness and injector harness which is what the voltage goes thrugh to cause the pulse width issues. Unless you have a bad injector that is creating the havoc, I'm perplexed as well.

Can I get the full VIN so I can create a ticket with Detroit and ask them what other areas to check? I pay them for the support so they should be able to give me other points to check on a pulse width issue. I'm an electrician as well as a Network Systems Engineer (mobile vehicles), so I know how the pulse widths work and what influences them. Thing is you did the changes on the major parts as well as a new harness so there shouldn't be any connection issues, interference issues from the routing, or a magnetic issue. So I need to step this up to the engieers as well.

One quick check, your alternator is good, right? You have no charging issues at all? I want to rule out any magnetic wave issue from it because it will cause pulse width issues.

Alternator is charging and within spec.
Engine #06R0871918
Pulse width values, Inj. 1-6, are 9.38, 9.04, 8.63, 9.76, 11.93, 12.26
Inj. response times, 1-6, are: .75, .75, .74, .77, .83, .84Thanks,
Keith

Your response times are good. You pulse widths are off.

Here is the response they have given me so far. I responded that this step was done and that injectors, harnesses were replaced and different ECM was also used. I'm waiting on the reply from that from them. They are thinking that one of the injectors is faulty and causing the others to compensate since the other work was done.

To determine if a faulty fuel injector is causing the cylinder to misfire, perform the following steps: ‪

1. Install DDL adapter to the data cable and plug the adapter into the DDL connector in the vehicle; refer to OEM guidelines.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. >From the DDEC III/IV/V Select Menu, scroll to select ENGINE and press the ENTER key.
  4. Scroll to FUEL INJECTOR INFO (CUTOUT) and press the ENTER key.
  5. Scroll to select NEW TEST and press the ENTER key.
  6. Scroll to select RPM SETTING FOR CCO TEST NORMAL and scroll to select 1000 and press the ENTER key.
  7. Scroll to select AUTO and press the ENTER key. Wait for END OF TEST.Note: If an injector cannot be cutout, you will see an ERROR message. Press FUNC to exit the cylinder cutout function, press the FUNC key.
  8. Scroll the list to review the results of the cylinder cutout test. To find suspect injectors, look for a cylinder with a value that is within 0.2 degrees of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH, by comparing the CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values to the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values.
    1. If any CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values are within 0.2 degrees of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH, shut down the engine and refer to section .
    2. If any CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values are not within 0.2 degrees of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH, shut down the engine.

Faulty Fuel Injector Repair

Perform the following steps for faulty fuel injector assembly(s): ‪

1. Remove and replace injector assembly(s) whose values are within 0.2 degrees of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH;
  2. Verify replaced injector assembly(s), .

Verification of Repair for Faulty Fuel Injector

Perform the following steps to determine if the replaced fuel injector(s) resolved the misfiring cylinder condition: ‪

1. Refer to section for the exhaust caution before preceeding. Start the engine.
  2. Run the engine speed up to the occurrence of the misfiring.
  3. Listen for misfiring cylinder.
    1. If the engine is not misfiring, shut down the engine. No further troubleshooting is required.
    2. If the engine is misfiring, shut down the engine and check for a faulty electronic control module(ECM);
Got it. Let's go have some more fun.
Will advise.
Thanks,
Keith
OK, I am going to ask a dumb question, but I am assuming the No cut out pulse width value is what the DDL shows as the Baseline pulse Width value before it starts the test. That being the case, the baseline was 9.04.
The values when tested were, 1-6: 8.90, 8.77, 8.78, 9.07, 11.44, 12.17.
Following the guidelines of within .2 of the baseline, that tells me that injectors numbers 1 and 4 are definitely bad and 2 and 3 are not far behind. sounds like we might as well put in a 6 pack.
Now this makes me wonder why are 5 and 6 so much different? And how/why did four injectors all of a sudden crap out? The engine only has 842,000 miles on it. We run fuel out of our tank, so I know we are getting clean fuel every day. Having one injector go bad is normal but four?

I've had all 6 go bad, but I'm in a lightning area where we have lightning 240 days of the year.

Check the ground connection going to the PCM to make sure there are no shorts anywhere in that ground. Retighten the cable ends by using a cable crimp punch or a large screw driver, hammer, and using the concrete or frame to smash it better. This will get rid of any potential shorting that could be going on. That is what will take more than one injector out.

Yes, the baseline is what they are referring to.

They insist on having the injectors tested for electronic malfunction since the harnesses were changed. The response is there is one or two bad injectors and the rest are compensating if more are not bad. They are basing this off the test ECM and nee harness with ptoblem remaining. They are pretty adamant on that.

They were correct. We put a 6 pack in and it runs like it should. Time is money and this truck needed to go to work so we did not have time to have the injectors tested and then only replace the bad one. I'm not really sure if WW Williams or TTT Freightliner here will even test an injector electronically. I will probably ask them next time I talk with both of them. But I am curious. We have never had something like this happen before and we have been running 60 Series since they introduced them. Any idea of what would have happened to create this electrical problem from one or more solenoids that influenced the remainder to create the bizarre pulse wave readings on the cylinder cutout test? Needless to say we will remember this one if we ever run into it again.

Are you in a lightning area or drive through one? If lightning hits te truck, it causes that.

I live in a high lightning area and get all sorts of weird issues all the time. 've contacted engineering so many times that they pretty much gave me a direct email because of all the electrical bizarre things I've witnessed.