Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2009 Sterling with 60 Series Detroit Flash Code 83 Replaced…

Customer Question
2009 Sterling with 60 Series...
2009 Sterling with 60 Series Detroit Flash Code 83
Replaced EGR Valve already, code still wont clear.
Other information i have found is check the EGR Delta PRessure Sensor as well, but cant seem to find it on this model...
Am i on right track?
Most pics i find of this engine is it should be mounted on passenger side of engine..., but it is not, this particular engine arrangement is 100% different from all pics i have found, not sure why.
ESN is 06R1018409
I have even removed exhaust injector and cleaned all carbon from it as well.
For reference the flash code is 83 SID 155 FMI 0
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/20/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The Delta P sensor is on the top, right of the engine. Follow the EGR gas line at the EGR cooler and you will see 2 small hoses coming off of it. Trace those 2 small hoses and they will stop at the Delta P sensor.

Check the plate of the Delta P and if you have a computer, do a calibration count reset on it and see if the code clears. Most times the code is only because the sensor needs to be calibrated.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

it is not there sir... im sorry i have pics if needed... let me try to upload them, isee where it is supposed to be but not there... the crossover tube only has a temperature sensor too.
having issues trying to upload these but the EGR cooler has no small tubes coming off of it at all, this must be a different style than most out there.. i work on all models of engines, i know the tubes you speak of, and the purpose, but i dont understand why they arent there the only wiring on passenger side of engine goes to MAT sensor, turbo actuator... and turbo speed sensor, its very baffling.
found one more pic of engine that shows EGR cooler on bottom right as well hope it helps...but after all this... are we even sure its EGR delta Pressure Sensor, is there any form of diagnostic information you have to back up that it is in fact this sensor is causing issue?

CLICK HERE for the Code info.

Do you have the Series 50 engine the truck by chance instead of the Series 60? If it is for certain the Series 60 did someone do a delete kit on this truck?

If it is a series 50, you will have a pressure sensor on the intake from the filter and not the normal Delta P location.

In that document I posted, it shows both setups.

Possibly could be a series 50, i did post ESN if you need it on first post.. ill check with dealership in morning if not, just assumed it was series 60, but the system isnt either of those pics unfortunately, both systems use two tubes going to a sensor, and this system i assure does not, it still has DOC, and DPF Filter, and everything else needed in the system, so i dont think they would have removed only part of the system.
I wish i had better pics, but it EGR goes directly up from EGR cooler to crossover pipe, and crossover pipe has a temperature sensor mounted directly right in front of valve cover into pipe, then it goes directly into EGR Valve on driver side, and thats it for cold side really.
And customer has had this truck for a quite a long time, but just now this problem started happening.
I guess only thing i can do is tomorrow take pictues of entire system,sorry i didnt take better pics today, i hope im not dealing with some midyear test subject truck lol

That is really weird for a stock truck. I have seen that with trucks that had deletes done where the systems were still in place for the dpf filter to "trick" California nd Illinois into thinking the systems were still in place and active, but the rest was removed. It almost sounds like that may be the case here. Your ESN shows the truck to be a regular 14L Series 60 so that is why I'm so thrown off by it all.

ok i was just doing some internet researching about the differences in each DDEC and stumbled upon a video of a DDEC series 60 video on youtube and this engine has exact same set up as engine im working has full walk around video of it.. its hard to pause with clear picture but it also doesnt have two lines running from EGR tube up to thermostat housing area where EGR delta Pressure sensor supposed to be. Hope this helps
i thought it was a DDEC IV or V tbh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mTeIZa5SKU
DDEC VI this is sorry..

You got the switch up engine.

That one is on the driver side on the intake. It will be a box with a line coming off of it. It should be mounted on the intake manifold.

Not very many of us worked on those engines because there are so few of those on the road. That is when the DD series engines were put on the market and most went to those engine.

i was kind of figuring i had a half breed of some sort after i have been using my computer for DDEC 2,3,4,5 to plug into it, but now find out its a DDEC VI... i seem to always get the wierd ones... im gonna order this Pressure Sensor Tomorrow, hopefully the parts guy can get in hand and describe it to me, seeing as supposedly theres 3 or 4 sensors on that box on intake, including fuel pump for Exhaust injector... but once i get one ill update this let you know it works out, thanks for help so far friend

You're welcome.

We call those engines half breeds for they are half Detroit, half Mercedes in the way they designed it. The manual is even different for them, which I have if needed. Most of the specs are different and even the injector cups are redesigned. They are not bad engines and are an improvement on the DDEC V, but they have their own flaws.

i found a picture of the valve behind intake manifold and it says it is a Doser Block Assembly...
and one sensor is a fuel line pressure sensor...
theres a fuel cutoff valve as well
the Electronic Dosing Valve
and the Fuel COmpensation Pressure Sensor///question is which is the EGR Pressure sensor, or is there more to this valve block than these four components?

That's the exhaust side of the engine...

Intake side is the other side of the engine. You will have the EGT pipe meet at the exhaust and just to the right of that is a box with wires on it. That is where hte Delta P is on that engine. It is in that box mounted on the pipe. It's backwards from the DDEC V.

That's for the DOC System.

CLICK HERE. This will help you out.

oh great document and found some great info... turns out i guess my model doesnt in fact have one..NOTICE:
The EGR Delta Pressure Sensor and its associated hardware (venturi, etc.) see Figure "Exhaust Gas
Recirculation (EGR) System and Related Parts" have been removed from the EPA07 Series 60 engine
effective with engine serial number 06R0999679 built on March 13th, 2008. Updated fuel maps that turn
the sensor off are being used to calculate EGR flow rates instead of using the sensor. A straight tube and
flange assembly replaced the venturi. For removal and installation procedures refer to "8.5.3 Removal of
Straight Tube and Flange Assembly"
i guess i happen to have the 18730th engine since this update >< lol

That makes sense.

You have the really odd engine where everything is changed up.

So your code 83 will be monitored by the sensor on the intake manifold. You will see 2 sensors on it. One towards the front and one towards the rear. The front is boost and the rear is flow. Remove it and clean it with a brush. Then see if the code will clear.

there is also a two wire temperature sensor in intake manifold too right?

Yes.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?