Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

How many triggers is there to get SCR system fault Engine

Customer Question
will Derate Soon message on...
How many triggers is there to get SCR system fault Engine will Derate Soon message on my 2011 vnl D13
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/19/2016
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

There are 4 stages. 1st stage is just dpf light. Second is dpf light flash and engine light. 3rd is dpf light solid with engine light solid. 4Th is shut down light.

On the SCR it is 3 stages. You get the wsrning light,then warning light and check engine light, then engine shutdown light which is when you go to limp mode.

Both systems work together so you can get one or the other. Sometimes both.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am aware of the stages you forgot to mention the beep beep beep beep right before it shuts down I was wondering what triggers it to go off how many things have to be wrong to fully Derate Well I think I figured it out two bad sensors partially derating it causing low fluid usagefor a couple weeks a bad wire from acm to the pump and it lost with the ECM that beep beep beep beep is a OTR Drivers worst sound possible your stomach drops cuz you know it means a tow job a motel usually for a few days so after getting the communication link back up the computer reset itself and I am still partially derated but when I get home next week I'm getting a full delete done and I will let you know how it works I'm hoping not to have to hear that beep beep beep beep again until I junk this truck I found a used ECM for $1,000 and I am getting it sent in for a full delete .& 100 Hp increase for $ 4000 and the bad sensors &wiring are going to be disconnected anyway plus all the other hard parts that might fail I have to gut my exhaust filter but that looks easier than gutting a catalytic converter because at least it opens up and I'm good at destruction pretty much like the full delete on the EFI live for Chevy Dodge Ford truck getting a Dyno next Tuesday so I can do a before and after have 100 horsepower guarantee which should be huge because as it is now im under 350 so I guess my question last night should have actually been where do I get a wiring diagram for the def SCR System because I could not find one anywhere one-line . But I was only 3 miles from the Google dealer and I got a ride over and they printed me out some great stuff for 25 bucks

Who is doing the delete? I'm just curious.

I work a lot with Performance Diesel out of Salt Lake. They have locations all over the US that they partner with and they do a lot of good work on the delete jobs. A lot of other shops tht do the deletes have learned from them. One of their staff members is an engineer so he knows his way around the engines.

Those 3 beeps are always a sink in the gut. When they go off, usually you have reached the final stage, unless the system senses a major issue with the SCR system like no communication with the sensors or module, like you described.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician