Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Im working on a 2007 International 4300 with DT466E that has

Customer Question
Hi, Im working on a...
Hi, Im working on a 2007 International 4300 with DT466E that has 3 codes that wont go away.
SID0034 EBP sensor Voltage below Normal or Shorted to Low source
and 2 instances of:
SID0027 VGT Actuator #1 Voltage Below Normal or Shorted to low Source
After i start it i also get High Voltage errors on Injectors 1,2 and 3.
Truck seems to run ok, slightly rough idle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unplugging the Turbo actuator doesnt make a difference, With Key on i have no resistance between pins 1 and 2 at the actuator. I also have b+ voltage across them, and 10.3v across pins 2 and 3. I have removed all the wire wrap from the top side harnesses and found no damage. Unplugging the EBP removes SID0034 and replaces it with an EBP calibration error.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unplugging the Turbo actuator doesnt make a difference, With Key on i have resistance between pins 1 and 2 at the actuator. I also have b+ voltage across them, and 10.3v across pins 2 and 3. I have removed all the wire wrap from the top side harnesses and found no damage. Unplugging the EBP removes SID0034 and replaces it with an EBP calibration error.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2016
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Matt. My name is***** will be glad to help. Please post all the fault code numbers you are getting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After a drive the following codes are in it:SID0027 FMI 4 VGT Actuator 1 Voltage below Normal or Shorted to low source
SID0027 FMI10 VGT Actuator 1 Abnormal Rate of Change
SID0001 FMI 4 Injector Cylinder 1 Voltage below Normal or shorted to low source
SID0001 FMI 6 Injector Cylinder 1 Current Above Normal or Grounded circuit
SID0002 FMI 6 Injector Cylinder 2 Current above Normal or Grounded Circuit
SID0003 FMI 6 Injector Cylinder 3 Current Above Normal or Grounded Circuit
SID0034 FMI 4 EBP Voltage below normal or shorted to low source
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should also add some backstory, This truck had no codes previously, but was dumping diesel out the exhaust. Turned out to be a lifter retainer had snapped. A buddy and I replaced the damaged lifters, retainers, and camshaft, and since then these codes have been present.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. Take a close look at the injector harness and connector pins to the injectors for corrosion or damage and chaffed/shorted wiring. Also check the Actuator harness for the same and EBT sensor harness. These are all codes related to a shorted harness.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have already checked the injector harness, and related wiring for the Actuator/EBP, no visible damage.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

What scan tool are you using to pull those codes? Could you pull them from the dash so I can find them easier in my files for the troubleshooting info. It will make it easier digging them up in international format. Click this link for the code procedure.

Fault codes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using the Launch CR-HD.The dash Gave me the following:25: 2 612_14A
1: 4 613_14A
4: 240 639_14P
241:254 639_14P
107: 5 2023_14A
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

612

14

25

2

4004/Bus 1602 5

Connector #4004/Bus 1602 Pin #5 Fuel level sensor out of range high.

This code is associated with a short to accessory or open circuit on the fuel level sensor on the draw tank for both single tank and dual tank vehicles.

Shorted high or open circuit.

1:4 613_14A This code is logged due to wrong positioned/unresponsive actuator motor for mode - Detected by HVAC control head. One of your blend doors is jammed or broken.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Looking up the others... bare with me

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

2023-14p-107-5:EGC gauge location 7 (fuel level) sensor fault to primary EGC (107) There is a problem with the sensor that provides the data for this gauge.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

These are the active codes but unrelated to your engine problem. The ones with P are inactive. This is the international list. I will have to try to convert them to their code number since the Launch numbers do not match.

international

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fuel gauge doesn't currently work, and never has since ive owned the truck. Im mainly concerned with whatever is keeping the amber Engine light on, as it was not on before.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

I would take a closer look at the harness and connector pins and under the valve cover from the recent work and do a continuity check on the harness with an OHM meter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have pinout info handy for doing continuity tests on the VGT , EBP, and injector harnesses?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Click on this link. I am logging out for the night but I log in periodically throughout the day and evenings for follow ups.

Diagrams/Specs

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

If there is trouble accessing the files click these two links.

Test specs

Diagram

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed the Valve cover today and conducted continuity tests and short tests on all the wires, they all checked out. I also removed all the ECM, IDM, and EGR module plugs and cleaned them out(one of the ECM ones was fairly oily). Did not make a difference. I did notice something strange though, when i remove the 40amp fuse in the battery box labeled 'IDM feed' The codes clear and the engine light goes off. Though the truck wont crank when this fuse is out. Removing the IDM relay with the fuse back in doesnt let the faults clear. I cannot locate this 40amp IDM feed fuse in the schematic you provided. There are 3 fuses in the battery box, 2 40's and a 10. The second 40 label reads ECM feed, and the 10's label isnt reabable.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also unplugging the 3 IDM plugs with the fuse and relay in doesnt allow the code to clear either.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the info. Click on this link for the chassis schematics.

Schematics

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Here is actually a more up to date version for your year chassis.

Updated schematics

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thankyou very much for those, I am looking at The electronic engine controls (page 106 of that book) and Connector R/D 6323 looks like a possible suspect to me. Any idea where this is located on the truck?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, no joy on that,it seems those connectors have already been removed. The connections in place of them look good and are well insulated. Not sure where to look next. As i mentioned previously the only thing that makes the codes all go away is pulling the fuse marked 9258. Removing the "EGR/Turbo Power Relay" does not change the codes, nor does unplugging any of the connections not required to power the ECM (IDM, EGR, Actuator, etc). Am i correct in assuming this problem has to be within the vicinity of the previous Clean power connections?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so i just realized the labeling on the wiring was confusing. I assumed the label on the fuse as IDM feed, to feed the IDM relay and that the "Turbo/EGR" relay was another name for it. Now i realize there is a seperate Turbo/EGR relay and pulling it does indeed kill the codes as well.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

thanks for the update. It is possible you have a few things going on here. Check the turbo actuator for proper operation and turbo for damage. Also check the actuator harness for damage. If the injector harness is good try swapping injectors from the first 3 cylinders with the last three ans see if the problem changes to 4,5,6 in stead of !,2,3. If so replace the faulty injectors. If not and the harness is good you likely have failed injector drivers and potential IDM/ECM issues. Try a test ECM or IDM if you have one available. LEt me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turbo is good, Actuator does cycle during self test.Im focusing on the turbo voltage errors at this time, as i have a feeling that is the root of the problem (comes up immediately on power up and wont clear unless i do as previously mentioned)I am also starting to suspect the ECM or IDM, i may be able to grab an extra set to try.The fact that everything electronically was happy before the cam and lifter job is what is still bothering me.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi Matt. I agree. Verify the ECM and IDM have good voltage and grounds from the batteries and there is no corrosion or harness issues at the IDM relay, and the inline harness and fusible links from the batteries. If so and the engine harness has not shorts or issues to these components then I suspect a possible IDM/ECM problem. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the 16+ pin 6011 Engine/Melrose COnnector(seen on page 106 of the schematics as well)? The Engine schematic shows the 12 pin 6011 connector that ive found located near the IDM, But id like to test the connections at that other one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, nevermind, realized my truck follows the older schematics and not those updated ones.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the update Matt. Keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i pulled the ECM and IDM out today and cleaned out the connectors better, there was still some oil in them. This seems to have solved the injector codes. But i am still stuck with the following:SID0027 FMI 4 VGT Actuator 1 Voltage below Normal or Shorted to low source
SID0034 FMI 4 EBP Voltage below normal or shorted to low sourceWhen i pull F2-B4 (20amp) which basically goes directly the the actuator and the EGR module (Through pin 10 of the 6011), BOTH codes disappear and the engine light goes off. Im baffled at how this fuse has any connection to the EBP sensor. Determining this link would surely lead to a solution.I have access to another truck on the weekend that i can borrow the ECM, IDM, and EGR module from, but i have my doubts thats the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only thing I can think of that they share is the loom they are wrapped together in....
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

Check the schematic I posted and follow/test the circuit from the batteries to the 12 pin connector wires 97 AP and 97APG for the actuator and verify 97DC for EBP is grounded with no poor connections or shorted/corroded wiring throwing off the sensor signal or an actual faulty sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no idea where to look next. I went through every single wire on the entire harness and there is no shorts or voltage supply problems. I did notice a few odd things that dont make sense to me though1. The signal wire coming out of the ECM for EBP is putting out 4.97v(isolated the entire wire)
2. The signal wire coming out of the ECM for the VGT is putting out 10.8v (isolated the entire wire)
3. When i turn the key on, i get continuity between pins 8,9, and 10 of the body side 6011. I also get continuity to all 3 from the EGR fuse socket. When the key is off this continuity is gone.
4. With the key on, if i pull the ignition relay the wipers start going ?!?!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 1 year ago

That is odd. The EBP sensor voltage from the ECM will be 5 volts as the ECM sends a 5v signal to the sensors and reads the return voltage from the sensor for its information. So in this case if the return signal wire is good with no shorts to power or ground Id replace the sensor. Now for the VGT the voltage should change based on what the ECM commands for VGT position. Check all you grounds and clean and tighten the connections. It is possible when removing the relay power or ground is getting redirected flowing to the path of least resistance causing that circuit to function unless there is a short between the two circuits.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I told the codes to the local dealer, and they told me SID 27 FMI 4 is the EGR valve on the intake horn, not the turbo Actuator. Checked voltage there and i am getting 9.36v to the EGR valve where i am supposed to be getting 5.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson