Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Cat C-15 injector solenoid problem. Engine Serial SDP21414.

Customer Question

Cat C-15 injector solenoid problem. Engine Serial SDP21414. It throwing fault code 3659-5. And engine idles rough less power. I DID DO SOLENOID TEST and solenoid 2 failed with "Open". Does this means my injector needs to be replaced or the solenoid? Help asap I such needed waiting to repair.it also has sere oil Leake coming from somewhere behind the head or rocker cover
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Taran. My name is***** will be glad to help. I just want to first verify if you have the complete test procedure. Click this link to access it and let me know if you have done the complete test and what the results were. If solenoid 2 is the only failed test. If so you can try just the solenoid but if the injectors have high mileage I recommend replacing the injector. Also you will see in this procedure a leak can also throw 3659-5 as well. Further explaination and troubleshooting info is in the link below.

Injector solenoid test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would be the next step if all wiring are ok if there's no short in wiring ? Solenoid or injector ? ENGINE has 540k miles. How to fix if there's leak ? I did solenoid test all pass only 2 solenoid failed

Replace the failed solenoid but at 540K I recommend going with a new set of injectors if you can rather than chasing them one at a time as they fail. You are around the average life expectancy of the injectors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for helping can you get me step by step instruction to change all injectors plus torque limits and other important info. Also if you can send me oil flow diagram there's a big leak somewhere behind the engine it's leaking so bad need to find it.

Pleasure to help. I will post the info. Injector adjustment

Injector removal and installation ( Follow the first adjustment procedure in the first post for SDP)

For the oil leak check the lines ar the back of the head and check for the cam cover leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you also help me on this code 3696-9 it says force regen switch abnormal update rate what does it mean how do I fix it. Can't clear it it comes back on

Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Force Switch :Abnormal Update Rate

It also is the same as Code 231-12 which indicates The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the following condition:

•The ECM is unsuccessful in receiving a message from a J1939 source.

The following features can be configured to use the J1939 data link:

•"Fan Overide Switch"

•"PTO On/Off Switch"

•"Remote PTO Set Switch"

•"Remote PTO Resume Switch"

•"PTO Engine RPM Set Speed Input A"

•"Cruise Control On/Off Switch"

•"Cruise Control Set/Resume/Accel/Decel Switch"

•"Cruise Control Pause Switch"

•"Clutch Pedal Position Switch"

•"Retarder Off/Low/Medium/High Switch"

•"Service Brake Pedal Position Switch #1"

•"Vehicle Speed Input"

•"Power Train Data Link"

•"Transmission Neutral Switch"

This would likely be either a faulty Regen switch or a problem in the datalink harness for that switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Faulty regen switch in the Cab ? The one we press to Regen ?

Yes that is correct. That is what it is showing for the designated switch programmed through the datalink harness. It is likely a faulty switch or a problem in the harness.

It will not allow you to clear it if the fault is still active. Check the configuration of another switch that matches and try swapping with a known good switch to see if the problem resolves. Will it regen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok little more help how do I know which one is injector number 1 can you send me injector order numbers from front to back or back to front just got injector so about to work on it

It goes 1-6 in order front (Radiator) to back( Transmission) for cylinder numbering

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and I have worked on cummins it's little easy I guess lol. But what are the spec to adjust the injector and in which order like I think when in stalled I need to rotate the engine and get to a mark and adjust certain injectors and engine break in order ?

The procedure is covered in the first link I posted. You install a timing pin on the RH side of the flywheel housing after removing a pipe plug to access it. The timing pin drops into a hole in the back of the flywheel at either #1TDC or #6 TDC. Look at the rocker arms on both to determine which one you are on. Both rocker arms loose on #1 will be #1TDC. Then adjust as stated in the document I posted for the valves... The injectors use the second link for the Correct SDP settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I put everything together it rubs without problem . No codes or anything but literally lost engine brake what did I do wrong? Engine break works just little bit past 1600 rpm but nothing like before. What do I do to fix ?

Thanks for the update did you reset the adjustments on the Jakes or we both left the same as before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Left the same as b4 because I didn't touch the adjustments. But bad news after driving the truck for about 2000 miles same code came back for the same code has my new injector gone bad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there ? I'm about to start working on or again. Injector fault comes and go no engine brake.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other height guage I can use to adjust the injectors ? Other then cat since I don't have it. If yes how to use it. Can you help me I'm working on it and waiting for some help

Hi Taran. I was away out of town for the weekend and just got back. The height gauge is 9U-7227 and There is an aftermarket one available. Click this link for the tool. You need to correct tool the get the proper injector height.

http://www.apexinds.com/tools/M10221.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All done brother someone else also helped over the weekend. Replaced injector but code came back. Harness replaced now all good

thanks for the update Taran. Glad you got this resolved. It was a pleasure working with you.

Hi Taran, I was just going through my open questions and following up. If you need no other help with this then please remember to rate or accept if you are satisfied with the information I provided as that is how the site credits the experts for their time on the site. Pleasure working with you