Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

2008 volvo vn with isx 770000 miles The idle shut down light

Customer Question
2008 volvo vn with isx...
2008 volvo vn with isx 770000 miles
The idle shut down light comes on in the dash , when driving down the road
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/28/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What are you getting for fault codes logged in the ECM?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Driver Technique

The ISX Idle feature group gives you the ability to control idle speed in the cab. It also controls idle time by shutting the engine down after a programmed idle timer has exceeded the programmed shutdown time.

Idle Speed Control
The Idle Adjust Switch feature can be used to control idle speed in the cab through the use of the Crusie Control switches. If the switch is installed and activated, you can control idle within the established limits of idle speed. This cab control is especially helpful in reducing cab noise and vibration.

A typical Idle Speed Adjust switch is shown below.

To increase idle speed:

• Bump up the Crusie Control switch toward increment (+). Each bump results in 25 RPM increment.

• Repeat until you reach the desired idle speed.

To decrease idle speed:

• Bump down the Crusie Control switch toward decrement (-). Each bump results in 25 RPM decrement.

Idle Shutdown
The Idle Shutdown feature is used to limit the amount of idle time. This is a fuel saving feature which automatically shuts the engine down after a programmed time at idle. The Idle Shutdown Timer determines the length of time before the engine shuts down. The timer only starts after the vehicle comes to a stop and a minimum engine speed with no pedal activity is achieved. Pedal activity while the engine is idling will reset the shutdown timer to zero.

Idle shutdown incorporates an additional security measure that monitors the position of the pedals and overrides the timer reset if it detects an unnecessarily long period of constant input. This ensures that Idle shutdown will still be effective even if the position of the pedals has been artificially changed such as would be achieved through the use of a throttle stick.

The timer only starts after a minimum engine speed and coolant temperature are achieved with no pedal activity. Pedal activity before the shutdown sequence will reset the shutdown timer to zero.

If the Idle Shutdown Override Feature is chosen, you can bypass the feature during the shutdown sequence. When the engine is ready to shutdown the Amber dash light will begin to flash for thirty seconds. Press any pedal (accelerator, brake, or clutch) during this sequence to override the shutdown. The feature will not attempt to shutdown again until the vehicle is driven or the key switch is cycled.

Idle Shutdown Override
If the Idle Shutdown Override Feature is chosen, you can override the feature during the final 30 seconds of the programmed idle time. During these final 30 seconds the Amber dash light will begin to flash to warn of the impending shutdown. Press any pedal (accelerator, brake, or clutch) during this time to override the shutdown. The feature will not attempt to initiate an engine shutdown again until the vehicle is driven and then returned to idle, or the key switch is cycled and the engine then returned to idle.

Idle Shutdown in PTO
The Idle Shutdown in PTO feature is used to limit the amount of idle time in PTO. This is another fuel saving feature which automatically shuts the engine down after a programmed time in PTO without activity. The Idle Shutdown Timer determines the length of time before the engine shuts down. The timer only starts after PTO is engaged at a constant speed with no pedal activity. Pedal activity before the shutdown sequence will reset the shutdown timer to zero.

The Idle Shutdown Override Feature works the same in PTO mode as in normal engine operation.

Idle Shutdown Percentage PTO Load Override - Parameter

When Idle PTO Shutdown is enabled, the Idle Shutdown Percentage PTO Load Override is the threshold that will allow the user to operate PTO without the engine being shutdown due to the Idle Shutdown in PTO feature. As long as the engine load is greater than the customer-entered value for Idle Shutdown Percentage PTO Load Override, then the engine will not be shutdown.

If the engine load is less than the customer-entered value for Idle Shutdown Percentage PTO Load Override, then the engine will shut down after the Idle Shutdown Timer has expired. The Idle Shutdown Percentage PTO Load Override can be set at any value between 0% and 100%.

Idle Shutdown Ambient Air Temperature Override - Feature Option

Choose this feature to enable or disable Idle shutdown based on outside air temperature. To use this feature it is necessary for an additional ambient air temperature sensor to be installed. Three temperature values: "Intermediate", "Hot" and "Cold" are selected and these are used to influence the activation of the Idle Shutdown Override feature.

Idle Shutdown Intermediate Ambient Air Temperature - Parameter
Select an ambient air temperature, in terms of degrees Fahrenheit (°F), at which the driver would not be likely to experience discomfort should the engine be automatically shutdown by the Idle Shutdown timer. The Intermediate Ambient Air Temperature can be set at a value of between 30 °F to 85 °F. The suggested Intermediate Ambient Air Temperature value is about 60 °F.

If the ambient air temperature is between the Intermediate temperature value and the Hot temperature value, the engine will shut down automatically unless the idle shutdown timer is reset using pedal activity.

Ambient air temperatures between the Intermediate and Cold temperature values will cause the engine to shut down automatically unless the Idle Shutdown is manually overridden.

Idle Shutdown Hot Ambient Air Temperature - Parameter
Select an ambient air temperature, in terms of degrees Fahrenheit (°F), above which the driver can manually override the automatic Idle Shutdown. The Hot Ambient Temperature can be set at a value of between 60 °F and 160 °F and should be greater than the Intermediate temperature value. The suggested Hot Ambient Air Temperature value is about 85 °F.

At ambient temperatures between the Hot and Intermediate temperature values, the engine will be shutdown automatically unless the Idle Shutdown timer is reset using pedal activity.

Idle Shutdown Cold Ambient Temperature - Parameter
Select an ambient air temperature, in terms of degrees Fahrenheit (°F), below which the engine will automatically override Idle Shutdown. The Cold Ambient Air Temperature can be set at a value of between 0 °F and 60 °F and should be less than the Intermediate temperature value. The suggested Cold Ambient Air Temperature value is about 30 °F.

At ambient air temperatures between the Cold and Intermediate temperature values, the driver can manually override Idle Shutdown.

Driving Tips
When the vehicle is keyed off and restarted, the idle speed will be reset to the latest "adjusted" idle speed. It will NOT reset to the original Idle Engine Speed parameter.

DO NOT attempt to use this feature as an automatic vehicle shutdown timer. The shutdown sequence will ONLY turn off the engine. The electrical system and accessories will stay on until the key is turned off, thus draining the batteries. An Optional OEM-supplied relay is available which can be used to turn off high current devices such as the headlights. The optional relay will remain active until the engine is cranked for starting or the ECM is reset by, for example, cycling the key switch.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Check to see if any of these things will cancel it out and if not Cummins Insite will need to be plugged in to check the parameters and likely update the software in your ECM if there is no fault codes indicating a problem thats causing this. Let me know

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson