Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 Mack vision cx613 with low power and a fault…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Mack...
I have a 2004 Mack vision cx613 with low power and a fault of spn85 fmi 4. Checked wire for rubs at module on passenger kick panel. I am having trouble finding the right schematic of the wires. My schematic says vj2 10 and vj2 11. Which are not the wires at my sensor
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/23/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 6 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Can I get the VIN number so I can sign into Mack and pull the schematics? Which sensor are you having issues with?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

017701 is last six of vin it's a Mack cx613. That fault is for a speed sensor. If that was a serious question I'm worried already.not to be cruel or judgemental of someone trying to help me.The spn and fmi codes are the same for all manufacturers. It's road speed voltage less than normal

You're incorrect. The SPN and FMI codes are NOT the same for all manufacturers.

You also didn;t provide the info I needed. I asked for the VIN and you only gave me a partial.

On another note, you wrote your question vague and even though you are doing the speed sensor for the code, you could also be working on one of the AS sensors for the code is in relation to them as well. That is how a Mack truck works. Next time please know your info before casting judgment on someone.

i also see that you closed this question so I will opt out and not assist. Have a good night and Merry Christmas.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** scan tool are you using to get your fault code? I worked for a Mack/Peterbilt/Volvo dealer and you should have MID128 or 144 then an SID or PID number, then the FMI number. I looked through the 82 pages of Mack fault codes and it is not like Cat, Cummins , and Detroit. Mack and Volvo do their own thing and are the only ones that you can match the fault codes with. Let me know

Road speed is a MID144 SID84 then whatever FMI. Here is the info right from the Mack book

MID 144-PID 84

MID 144-PID 84

MID 144 PID 84 — ROAD SPEED

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI):

2 (Data Erratic), 14 (Special Instructions)

Parameter Identification (PID):

P84

Message Identification (MID):

144

Circuit Description:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is an inductive sensor. When the vehicle is moving, the transmission output shaft speedometer gear teeth rotate past the VSS tip and a pulsed signal voltage is generated. The Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) monitors the frequency of the signal generated by the VSS, to calculate the road speed. The air gap between the sensor and the toothed gear influences the VSS signal output and should be checked if erratic or inaccurate speedometer readings are reported.

Location:

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located in the rear of transmission, near the output shaft.

FMI 2

Data Erratic, Intermittent or Incorrect

Conditions for fault code:

Intermittent faulty data

Speed signal from speedometer and ABS differs too much

Speed signal from tachometer and ABS differs too much

Possible causes:

ABS Harness

ABS Sensor

Tachometer

Tachometer harness

Reaction from Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU):

N/A

Noticeable external symptoms:

N/A

FMI 14

Special Instructions

Conditions for fault code:

Intermittent faulty data

Speed signal from tachometer was updated incorrectly

Possible causes:

Faulty information from tachometer

J1939 dataline link

Tachometer harness

N/A

Noticeable external symptoms:

N/A

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 years ago

Hi, did you get this resolved?