Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Code 71 on autoshift

Customer Question

Code 71 on autoshift
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No neutral sign just - on display for gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try to start like 4 to 5 times and then code 71 appear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like is not found neutral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can someone help me ?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

CLICK HERE for more info on your code. That code is Failed to Disengage a Gear.

If possible, try rocking the truck, like if on a hill let the truck roll slowly and turn the key on to get the transmission to cycle. You can also try a reset on the shifter with one of 2 methods. Turn the key on, then cycle yto off and back on 5 times quickly stopping in the on. See if it will start. If not, do it again 8 times and see if it will clear.

If not, then the only option is a tow for the shifter most likely failed and needs to be replaced or the clutch is acting up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?