Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a school bus with a dt 466r engine. I stopped, added

Customer Question

I have a Thomas school bus with a dt 466r engine. I stopped, added steering fluid and now something is preventing the engine from turning over. The "range inhibit" light is on. I checked brake fluid levels and one was low. Now when I turn the key the range inhibit light goes on AND the brake pressure light goes on. Engine does not turn over.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

The range inhibit light is for the transmission.

Do you have a up and down arrow on the touch pad or is this just a shift handle transmission with no buttons? Thomas buses used both styles in their buses and you gave no year information about your bus.

I'm presuming it has the International chassis since it has the 466 engine instead of the Freightliner chassis?

CLICK HERE if you have the push button style selector to see how to get the codes on the tranmssion and to clear the codes. Try clearing the codes to get the rang inhibitor off and see if the bus will start. If not, then there is a transmission fault taht is preventing the bus from starting and it needs to be taken to a transmission shop for repair.

If you have the regular shift handle style, then the only option is to tow to a garage for the only way to reset them is with a computer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy