Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have twin 3126 cats Marine motors in my boat. We have just

Customer Question

Hi I have twin 3126 cats Marine motors in my boat. We have just replace mechanical injectors, turbos and aftercoolers. We are using the correct oil. New filters air fuel and oil.
I was running sweet for about 15 hours, now the port motor is blowing some white steam like smoke from exhaust. Can smell it as well. At idle and under load.
Sounds good, not using a lot of fuel, temp is ok. Getting 2600 rpm both sides.
Motors have done a lot of hours 4000, hence the injector change over.
Not sure what to do next.
Thanks
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

It sounds like you have a faulty injector. I have seen this many times. Since the engine sounds good I would not suspect a cylinder problem. When there is a cylinder problem like bent valve or damaged piston. The engine will miss and run rough.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cat had just replaced ALL the mechanical injectors? Do you think I got a bad one?
Thanks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.

Yes I would suspect one is bad. I have had that happen to me several times. It could also be the adjustment is off on one as well but normally when that's the case, it does not run good for 15 hours then go out. The good news is the injectors have warranty. I would have them come back out and take a look.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for getting back to me.
Cat had told me to check the sea strainer and the water flow from the exhaist on the port side, I am on holidays now so cannot check for a week! I would like to keep this open until I can check this.
Thanks Grant
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help. Let me know how you make out.