Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My name is rick I have a ism 330 and a fuel problem truck is

Customer Question

Hi dan my name is ***** ***** have a ism 330 and a fuel problem truck is hard starting. put fuel pressure gauge on pump and the truck spins over for a long time before I hit 25 psi and then it starts runs great I have lots of air though at the pump and when I shut the engine down same problem I loose my prime this test was done with fuel line direct to pump into a can, also lots of air and preasure at return line at tank
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick it's Dan. Thanks for the request. If you have lots of bubbles at your return and you isolated the tank to pump suction lines out of the equation by bypassing with a bucket of fuel, you have injector o rings that have failed and possible injector problems. If these injectors have 500,000 or more on them Cummins recommends they all be replaced. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am also losing the prime when i shut down the engine could I have a bad fuel check valve and where is it located. The truck runs great just hard to start, if you still think its injector o rings is there a way to tell which ones they are.

Are you getting any fault codes? If so what are they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think their was one code for Aramaic pressure high voltage sometimes active
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Baramik

Could you get me the fault code numbers that are logged? We can post back and forth as needed. I will be loggin out for the night shortly but we will still be able to follow up as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get them tomorrow thank you very much.

Sounds good. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good mornin Dan, one code 0222 active barometric pressure sensor circuit

Thanks for the info. Here is the troubleshooting for that fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks dan but does this have any thing to do with my air in fuel problem, could their be a bad fuel check valve and that is why I loose the prime our is it a o ring in a injector

What is your fuel pressure running? Here are the specs.

Fuel Pressure Specs (All Fuel Systems)

Cranking 25 psi

1200 RPM 120 psi

2100 RPM 150-180 psi

check for power at the fuel shutoff solenoid and listen for it to click with the IGN switch on. Check the resistance of the solenoid. The ohms reading from the post to engine ground 6 to 15 ohms for 12-VDC solenoids. Try running a clear hose from the fuel pump inlet fitting from the tank or bucket of fuel and make sure the pump is pulling fuel to the engine and if not the pump s faulty. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shutoff solenoid is all good, fuel press. good when running. fuel inlet hose and return hoses new and in bucket of fuel. cranking engine takes long time to get 25 psi. to start because I loose prime every time I turn engine off. do I have a bad check valve on pump or could it be a injector o ring

You likely have a faulty check valve. Check the fittings coming out of the FICM ( ECM) cooling plate and there should be a check valve in one of the fittings. A weak pump will also cause this if it is not sucking in air as it seems you already confirmed. Let me know