Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

When I engage the clutch in my 2012 kenworth t700 the engine

Customer Question
light comes on. Now now...
When I engage the clutch in my 2012 kenworth t700 the engine light comes on. Now now it stays on for a while even when I'm idling.. Also the reading on my dashboard is saying "fault jake brake" This problem along with blue and dark grey smoke shooting out of the exhaut pipe at least.once a day along the highway, only started since I took the truck to a certified kenworth dealership shop to fix a leaking turbo
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/6/2015
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The smoke issue may be related to the turbo repair as something may have been repaired incorrectly or possibly damaged or bumped loose/disconnected during the repair.I have also seen faulty leaking fuel injectors cause a fault like this here as well.

What needs to be done first here is to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set.This will require a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to read out these codes.Once this is done the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.

I suspect a fault with the repair that was done that should be corrected by the facility that did the repair at no cost to you if found to be their fault or a leaking injector causing issues here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I see what your saying, but I must ad that I was haviig no such smoke or engine light problem until I took trk in shop. It was there for like two weeks. Only wheel seal prob. and turbo leaking prob. Yet there was no lost of power. They claimed they had to do valve adjustment to correct the leaking from nad that some one updated the software which could cause the turbo leak. All of that was extra money. When they gave me the truck and said I was ready to go, I didn't go more than eight miles before I saw oil leaking from the turbo at the same place again, even more. I took it back to the shop and they said they fix the problem by putting a gasket I guess over the area between where the turbo was connected, but they say they put a gasket there and it wont leak any more. Bear in mind this was the main reason in addition to the wheel seal/break I brought the truck in ,in the first place. Yet I was charged almost $4,000 that first time. Well after they put the gasket they say on I went away only to return to the shop the next couple of days having , parked no more than eight miles away. Why? I was on way to pick up a load that was in the same area of the Kenworth shop when this cloud of smoke start shooting out of the exhaust all over the highway. So I'm now in the shop a third time what they did was, let me waited until the next night before they come and told me that the truck was diagnosed again and they found a bad #3 injector which needed replaced. I was so frustrated and seeing that I didn't have the money to replaced it which included labor($1,400), I took the truck from them without replacing the injector , but not before they I paid them over$400 they say for the worked they done checking. What a nightmare. Since then been driving the truck with the smoke and now engine light. I just baught the truck and all my little start up cash is now gone. The turbo is not leaking now, but I'm concerned they may have made several errors causing these issues and on top of that having me paid for their mistakes. Thanks for your patients. I know this is a lot of writing, but I can hardly trust some of these mechanics now a days. I would appreciate your final response. Thanks again pete

Was the turbo replaced or just a seal replaced?

The turbo was not replaced, but they said they put on a gasket on it ,in that way it will not leak again

O.k.,this may be the turbo itself at fault.If it is leaking into the intake it can cause a smoke issue and may be causing the faults here.Also if they damaged anything when they did the repairs or if they bumped anything loose this can cause issues.This will have to be checked into/tested further to be sure of what is causing this fault.It might be best to have a second facility check into this to see what they come up with,then if found to be at fault of the first repair facility I would speak with the first facility to see if they will pay for repairs.

With this only occuring after their work was done either they damaged something,installed something incorrectly or bumped something loose or the turbo is failing needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Thank you

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Different expert here.

What engine do you have?

On your paperwork from the dealer, look at it and see if they listed the specs for the valve adjustment they did. You wrote they did a valve adjusmtnet and you are having these issues. An improper valve adjustment will wipe out an injector and cause the smoke that you are having. Did they even bother to recheck the valve adjustment settings? With you having a jake brake fault on the dash, that is a concern that the adjustment is off and not done properly. I don;t want you to lose a whole engine over a improper valve adjustment. If it is improper, then just so you know, you do have legal action that you can take against the shop if they don't repair all the issues they caused and the lost downtime.

Be sure to have that adjustment checked! Reason is I seriously doubt it is a turbo isse. If it was, you would be having regen failure codes and you didn't mention that at all. The issue would be the same on a Paccar or Cummins engine in your KW.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician