Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

2000 60 series Detroit idle not coming down / stays at 900

Customer Question
till manual engine fan is...
2000 60 series Detroit idle not coming down / stays at 900 till manual engine fan is engaged
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
510 ground wire is ok
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
call me at xxx xxx xxxx
12/6/2015
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The first thing that needs done here if this hasnt been done already is to have the fault codes checked using either a scan tool or computer that will plug into your vehicle here and can communicate with all computers in your vehicle.If any codes are set related to this issue here the codes will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.

This may be an issue with a vacuum leak on the engine with something like the intake pulling in excess air past the gaskets or an issue with the idle control from the computer or a solenoid or actuator fault.If you can get the fault codes checked and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Technician: James-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
James-cssm
Hi Ron,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/medium-and-heavy-truck/9foht-2000-60-series-detroit-idle-not-coming-down-stays-900.html?rpt=1350. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** u Will assist you.

Can I get more information on the engine idle please?

FYI, there is no vacuum on these engines. It is air so checking the manifold does not cause this. Don't waste your time.

Does the engine idle come down when the auto fan for the A/C engages or just when the manual switch is flipped?

Have you noticed any smoking at all on this engine when you are driving or when the engine is idling? Is there a rich fuel smell when around the truck?

Do you have any oil/fuel mixing at all?

Disconnect the map sensor on the intake side of the engine. It will be between the filter and the turbo. Does the idle drop down?

Press the diagnostic button on the dash. Do you get any red and yellow flash codes?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Did you still need assistance with this?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician