spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

Ok I have a 94 379 with a 3406B with a mechincal pump that

Customer Question

Ok I have a 94 379 with a 3406B with a mechincal pump that is controled by ecm it will only make 15 psi of boost and is a dog. It has a borg warner 178063 turbo near new and a new air to air that I checked no leaks new boots on the air to air and i did the over head adjustment on it. It does not use oil or water it will start when it's 30 degress out with no smoke and idols smooth. Whats the problem with this thing?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vin is 1XP5DB9X4RD344683
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Christopher, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

When you have low boost the two most common things are leaks on boost side of turbo which you already checked and low fuel pressure.

You need to maintain at least 30 psi fuel pressure under a load or you will have low boost and low power.

Verify fuel pressure by installing a fuel pressure gage in secondary fuel filter head,test drive with a load,if fuel pressure is low first change fuel filters if you have not already,next bypass suction side of fuel system with a temparray new line running directly into fuel tank about half way down,,tie up with some rags around tank opening and retest,,if you know have good fuel pressure and power you have a leak on suction side of fuel system such as a hose or filter head,if you are still low on fuel pressure replace fuel transfer pump and hand primer pump if you have one.

If check engine light ever comes on during low power let me know what codes you have you can use cruise switches to check for codes,if you don't know how to get codes let me know.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Please take a moment to rate or accept my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site ,without a rating or accept the web site does not pay me.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.

Thanks
spanky