Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 1997 School bus with an international T444E engine

Customer Question
I have a 1997 Thomas...
I have a 1997 Thomas School bus with an international T444E engine ,VNV444C8DARW, B190. Some animals ate through 5 wires connected to the CMP and ECT sensors on the front of the engine. They look to be labeled, 97NF, 97GW(g might be something else), 97BF, 97GA, and 97BE. These are the purple wires on harness attached to the engine. There is a round connector on the back right of the engine to connect to engine harness to the bus. Unfortunately they ate the wires all they way down to the sensor connectors, and now I don't know which goes to which! (2 for ECT and 3 for CMP) I found a 1996 wiring diagram, but I did not see all the wires listed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/27/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** believe I have some diagrams for this. I will dig into my archives and let you know what I find.

Let me know if you need any more details or pictures.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

That's all I have for this engine that year. Will that help you with what you need?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Try this one. It is in spanish but the component descriptions and wire numbers are in English.... It is for 1997.

This one looks much better, but I still don't see some of the lines that match my wires. I was looking for the 97NF, 97GA and 97GW. If I use a multimeter, can I probe some of the other sensors to trace the wires back? For example, the EOP sensor shares lines with the ECT and CMP ( 97DC and 97CY) Looking at the diagram, they look like they should read shorted. Is that a bad assumption. If I do connect it up wrong do I risk damaging the computer?
I was just able to probe the grey connector that mates the engine with the rest of the vehicle, and I was able to trace the wires to 15, 28,24,26,27 which seems to match to the two sensors even though the number/letter combos don't match exactly. The spanish diagram doesn't match. I think I can read it on the first one you sent.
Let me know if you happen to come across a better diagram for the 1994-1997 T444E .Thanks and have a great weekend.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sometimes the letters and numbers on the wires do not match exactly. What is most important is the ECM connector pin numbers. Those are what you want to use and then wire accordingly to the sensor connector pin. For the sensors there will be a 5 volt signal out to the sensor and then the sensor return voltage wire that the ECM reads that return voltage for that signal. Those are the only ones I currently have on hand. Hope you have a great weekend as well

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson