Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

I have a 2004 international 4400 witha Dt 466 it was running

Customer Question

I have a 2004 international 4400 witha Dt 466 it was running great I slowed to pull into my driveway & the yellow engine light came on, the truck went to an idle and would not rev. I turned the truck off & now it will not crank. Help please
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4H615255
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuses in the battery box ? The ECM is fed clean power through separate smaller harness which goes all the way to the batteries . There are inline fuses sitting right on top of the batteries in a small weather protected fuse holders . Check those to make sure fuses are tight , and terminals are undamaged .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the interior light as it should if it is those fuses? I have power to the cab but the truck does not even offer to turn over.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes only the ECM loses power . Everything else would stay the same . And it would not turn over because the ECM has to be powered up to ground the starter relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see plugs over the battery and not fuses, I am I looking in the correct place or are they in the cab?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

They are indeed in the battery box . Simply remove the cover and open those plug covers . the fuses are inside . There are red wires going to them .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I will have to check in e morning when I have some daylight. If it is fuses what would make them blow? Is there a sensor on the accelerator as it went to an idle and would not accelerate? Or do the fuses also control the accelerator?
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

They are likely not blown . I used to see heat damage caused by poor connection. To the fuse . those fuse holders were bad .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pulled the fuses & both are good cleaned the connections - nothing. I tried unplugging at the clutch hoping for a reset still nothing. I open to new suggestions
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for the info . I am currently working but can help tonight after work using Skype if you want ? But for now , I would continue by following that harness from those fuses on towards the Engine . Check that wiring inch per inch and check all the connectors along the way for damage . Also check the ECM relay in the power distribution box under the hood on the left side fender .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Are u still needing help ? I am still here if you need me .