Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2006 kw control module and just about everything

Customer Question

hi I have a 2006 kw control module and just about everything else got wet after accident broken windsheilds we took it to the body shot turn signals brake lights and head lights worked brought it back no turn no stop no head lights checked all fuses and relays took out control module soked it in 91 % alchole still doesn't work
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the control module had become wet even though you have tried soaking it in alcohol which does work sometimes,most likely it needs replaced.The water damages the electronics in the control module or any other ecu or electronic component fairly rapidly.It can even cause the module to short out internally with no apparent visual damage internally.I suspect the control module itself needs replaced to correct this fault here as I have had to do with several other control modules in the past before when they had become water damaged.

You might check and make sure all wiring and wiring connections to it and the lights are all o.k. with no damage or corrosion needing repaired and if this is all found to be o.k. and no blown fuses are found I suspect this control module needs replaced for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Please, don;t soak the module in alcohol. The modules have small electronic pulses in them and you can literally burn the whole truck down. I've witnessed this before and have fired a tech over them trying this. I understand the module is wet and pretty much toasted already, but soaking it in alcohol then re-installing can cause you to buy a whole new truck and not just a module.

Because the module got wet, I highly suggest replacing it and having it programmed to the truck. It isn;t the greatest news, I understand that, but once they get wet internally when there is power to them (which on trucks these days is nearly all the time anymore) they burn up. What burns up the quickest is the EEPROM chips in these modules for they don;t rest in the board, they rest on the board. Those in electronics/electricians/engineering (as I am in) will understand this, but those that don't will not. I will explain for you.

The chip that controls the switching on the board is a EEPROM chip. Most components are safe to get a little moisture, but these are not. They are the brains of the board. They also generate a lot of heat. So what the makers of the baors will do is they will install the chip, but it is above the board with a little bit of space under it. This is so air can flow all around it, even though the pins are attached to the board. Well, under that chip there is little vents in the plastic and the water will get under the chip, and then into the chip though that vent. That chip will burn op. Most boards have multiple chips for different functions. This is why some lights work and others don;t, but they are all interconnected through that module.

I suggest replacing the module and due to the water in the plugs, use a Electrical/Electronic connector spray from the aut parts store at about 9.99 for the can. It has no water and isn't high alcohol based. Rubbing alcohol is extremely flammable and doesn't evaporate fully. It leaves a film and hat is why it is highly recommended to not use in the automotive industry. Contact cleaner has oleic acid in it which is better to use. Rubbing Alcohol or Isopropyl Alcohol has a ethyl base to it and that is what will not evaporate away. Ethyl is also the flammable part of gasoline. You don;t want that flaming up in the cab while going 70 miles per hour down the road for someone can get seriously hurt.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy