Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have an old Nissan UD (1995) which we are getting

Customer Question

I have an old Nissan UD (1995) which we are getting roadworthy and one of the problems is that the speed limiter is not working. The speedlimiter is the the older style mechancial linkage to the pump throttle cable.
The speedlimiter is made by VDO but is no longer supported by VDO.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The speed limiter itself can fail internally and cause this issue here.I have seen this occur before on some models.If it is no longer supported to where it cannot be purchased from the dealer or manufacturer you may have to try and locate a used one at a salvage yard or contact VDO to see if they know of a facility that sells some kind of replacement for this here.I have also seen auto accessory install facilities in some cases be able to modify or obtain one that will work.If neither of these are an option for you on this let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have not had any other replies as you point out. I have been in contact with VDO and they are not much help here in Australia. I have also tried to find a person that can troubleshoot the problem but no luck there either. I have contacted many truck wreckers and none of them have been able to help.
There are 2 main components to this unit. One is the mechanical linkage and the other is the electronic unit in the cab. At this stage I don't know which is faulty. Is there a way I can send you an attachment which will show you the unit?
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the only info I have found so far. Its the mechanical linkage one
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

If you lightly tap on the mechanical actuator part of this then operate the vehicle does it start to operate then at all or try and operate?If it does then the mechanical actuator/linkage needs replaced as it can sometimes bind up and tapping on it can allow it to work temporarily.If this doesn't work try tapping on the electronic control unit and do the same and see if it operates then or tries to operate.If it does when the electronic control unit is tapped on then there is a poor solder or connection in the electronic unit with it needing replaced to correct this here.

If this does not work let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteWhen I connect the unit and turn on the ignition the mechanical actuator goes all the way to the idle position and then tries to keep going, so it constantly hits the idle stop position and I assume it is stripping the gears in the motor. In other words it is not sensing that it has reached idle so the electronic unit is not telling it to stop in that position (which it should)So I have to disconnect the mechanical unit to stop the problem.BTW, I don't believe you can buy replacement parts for this unit. That is the main reason I am trying to see if I can fix it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately I dont know of a manual repair myself on this here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further with this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete