Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

We have a 1993 Mack CH613 that dies going down the road with

Customer Question
no warning. If were still...
We have a 1993 Mack CH613 that dies going down the road with no warning. If were still moving we can shut the ignition switch off then back to the run positioned, it will then restart and continue on our way a majority of the time. If it doesn't restart
at that point we've been able to shut off a master switch we installed turn it back on and it starts most of the time, other wise it's just patience and wait for a while.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/9/2015
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the engine model info from the engine tag and what do tou have for fault codes logged if any?

I am unsure how to retrieve the fault codes on this truck.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Turn off cruise, Hold set/resume switch and then count the malfunction light flashes for the two digit code. Let me know what you get

Engine Malfunction light did absolutely nothing. The engine model is an E7-350. The driver just informed me when it dies if the fuel gauge doesn't come up it doesn't start but if the fuel gauge gives a reading it starts.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Thanks for the update. Does your engine have the fully mechanical fuel pump or is it the electronic injectors?

Mechanical
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

that changes everything. Ok you need to verify power to the fuel shutoff on the injection pump. It is possible you have either a faulty fuel shut off solenoid on the pump or you are loosing power from the IGN switch to power the solenoid causing it to shut down

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Does it shut down instantly like someone turned off the IGN switch?

it does and I believe we have had a Ignition switch put in.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok thanks for the update. Will this shut down frequently while idling? If so someone can monitor the fuel shutoff power to see if there is a loss of power to the shutoff solenoid causing the no start and shut down condition. Check your fuses and relays.... I know alot of these trucks had breakers.... Could be a breaker triping and then resetting

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If that is the case it could be from a shorting solenoid or wire to the shutdown shorting against the block. Let me know

I will check on those in the morning, I appreciate you time and suggestions and will let you know.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds good. Pleasure to help.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson