Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a dt466 that has excessive to dark smoke and runs

Customer Question
I have a dt466 that...
I have a dt466 that has excessive white to dark gray smoke and runs rough and it seems like fuel in oil as it washes dipstick. Am I right in thinking a o ring on injector or what else could it be. The dark gray smoke after it runs for 30 seconds throws me off.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/29/2015
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The gray smoke will come from thinned out oil due to fuel in the oil that will make it past the oil rings on the piston from being thin and can smoke like this here.I have seen this occur before.

The most common cause I have seen is usually one or more of the fuel injectors leaking down fuel or sticking open allowing way to much fuel into a cylinder.This causes the smoke issue as well as the fuel in the engine oil.It is possible this is an injector O ring fault but in most cases I find on most models one or more injectors needing replaced.

You are correct on running it to long as the thinned out oil will damage the engine in some cases and the over fuel can actually break a piston as I have seen with hot pistons with cold or excess fuel hitting it.In turn the piston will then damage the cylinder wall and destroy the engine completely.

I would have the injectors tested (on some this may require a special fuel adapter to test injector fuel pressure drop to find one at fault) to locate any at fault needing replaced.The injectors may also need to be visibly inspected to locate any that may be leaking or an o ring fault with one or more of them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Thank you for requesting me.

The issue isn't going to be piston rings on this engine. It will end up being one of the injectors being cracked and/or injector seals.

Remove the ICP, put shop air there and you will hear air on the rail. This is to confirm that you have a seal issue at minimum.

Remove the injectors and get them pop tested. This will confirm which ones are leaking.

You didn't post the year of your DT466 so if it is a early DT, it may just be the seals. If a newer DT, it may be seals and injectors. Either way, be ready to do the seals.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Did you need anymore assistance with this? I'm following up since the question is still showing as open/unresolved. Thanks.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician