Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

I have a 97 international bucket truck. I have a 97

Customer Question

I have a 97 international bucket truck. I have a 97 international bucket truck. I've cleaned out to fuel tank new fuel filters you can be driving down the road and it will cut out ,then you will gain speed again. Sometimes when u take off it's like the truck has no power. Then other timeside you take off its like it has all the power in the world. What could be causing this issue
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Have you checked the ecm clean power feed harness at the batteries ? There are inline fuses sitting right in top of batteries that could be loose or improperly seated causing this .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all tight and fine.....
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Can we start with the last eight digits of the vin number please?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help sir ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin number
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

This is a 444e engine in a 4700 truck body in the wisconsin area. Correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But iam in Oklahoma
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Oh Ok

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if you have an engine lamp staying on or coming on ?

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytu55d5ppfzhg3a/444e%20hard%20start%20and%20performance%20from%201997.pdf?dl=0

Here is the hard start and performance troubleshooting chart for that engine to help you and if you have any more questions , don't hesitate to ask .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine light comes on here and there. When it comes on that's when it has all the extra power. Just replaced the turbo also
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Can you please check the flash codes using the engine diagnostics switch located at the lower portion of the dash . Key on , engine off , hold the switch down for one second , then release the switch and count the flashes of the engine warn lamp . Codes are 3 digits long . ( ex. blink, blink , pause , blink , blink , pause , blink , blink is code 222. ) . Then it continues to flash out the rest of the codes in memory .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check. Is there a way to turn up the idle to get more rpms for the pto
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes by using the cruise switch . Turn it on and hold set or resume to raise the RPMs . If it doesnt , it may not be programmed correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
122 155 121 222 333 221 223 622 313 233. Do these look correct. Hard to read with so many flashes
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes .I will try and get flash code list .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok .. so I don't get charged anymore than the first fee
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Not unles you want to continue using skype audio

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu74otpdwliyhk8/t444%20e%20codes%20and%20wiring%20from%2094%20to%2097.pdf?dl=0

this is code list for that engine .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you put some this in English for me lol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the. VPM not programming ECM
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

The best way to go about this in this case is clear the memory or clear codes .

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Then road test to duplicate the problem and have the engine lamp come on again . Then check the flash codes again ,

Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

That had a bunch of codes and likely come of them are from awhile back so we need to be sure what we are after here . Can you clear codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to clear them
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

I believe you will need a scanner to do so .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. Iam going to try a map sensor
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Good call seeing as you had 2 codes for it . It is likely a problem currently . After replacing it , please clear codes again and road test to see if any other issues return . Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a cut in the hose that goes to sensor .... will clear codes tomorrow and see
Expert:  Andy replied 1 year ago.

Good find ! Let me know how it goes . Thanks .