Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a cummins L10 in an IR air compressor. Ser# is

Customer Question
Hi, I have a cummins...
Hi, I have a cummins L10 in an IR air compressor. Ser# ***** ***** I'm looking to identify the engine and get valve adjustment procedure and specs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/15/2015
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

That is a 290 Hp, engine

I will look that up for you and get back in a short

Your inlet valve clearance is 0.014"
Your exhaust valve clearance is 0.027"
Your injector preload is 5 - 6 inch pounds (use Cummins tool number(###) ###-####.
It pays to highlight the "ABC" marks on the accessory drive pulley before you start.
Bar the engine round in a clockwise direction (viewed from the font of the engine) until the "A" mark on the accessory drive pulley is aligned with the pointer, check which valves are closed and which are "rocking"
If the valves are closed on cylinder 5, you are at the top of the table below, and ready to start, if the valves are closed on cylinder 2, you are half way down the chart, so bar the engine around one more rotation.
Adjust the valves on cylinder number 5 and the injectors on cylinder number 3, torque the locknuts to 35 lbft if ST669 adapter is used or 45 lbft without the adapter

Bar the engine to the "B" mark, adjust valves on cylinder 3 and injector on cylinder 6
Proceed through 2 full revolutions of the accessory drive pulley.
If you go past a mark, be careful that you do not loosen the accessory drive pulley retaining nut, also you must go backwards halfway to the preceding letter and come forwards onto the correct letter, or the backlash in the engine affects your camshaft position and thus the accuracy of your adjustment.

What is it that confirms this is an STC engine?

Hi

That is what most L 10 are

what is your engine ser #

From original question: cummins L10 in an IR air compressor. Ser# ***** *****

Thank you for that

your ser # ***** not show what engine number

it is on the valve cover plate

or the timing cover on the side

but 95.% of the time it is the STC

I understand there are different procedures for adjusting valves and injectors on the other 5%. That's why I'm trying to be sure. Is there a way to be sure which one it is?

Hi

did you look in the places that I mentioned

for engine Number

let me know

OK, Tag found :) Engine Number 34592830 It also says it is 216 HP @ 1800 rpm not 290. The rest of the tag is kind of beaten but we are cleaning it up now in case we need more info

Hi Thank you for that

OK, Good, the info I gave you is correct

for that engine, 216 Hp is for a industrial use

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Morning

I am just following up with you

did my answer help you

Let me know Please

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you

If yes please let me know

Wayne, Journeyman