Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

C15 acert cut off going down road, will turn over but wont…

C15 acert cut off going...
C15 acert cut off going down road, will turn over but wont start. ET will not communicate with ECM. Has battery power for laptop but wont connect. Has ignition power at ECM but doesnt have ignition power at plug for computer in dash. It is in a 2010 W900
KW
10/9/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

So there is no power on pins 52,53, and 70?

Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?

do not have a wiring diagram which pins are they? and no check engine light comes on

Thanks for the information.

If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.

The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. The connector is marked with numbers so it's easy to find the right pins. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.

If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

52 and 53 do not have power any idea where to start checking

Yes. Most KW trucks have fuses in the battery box. I would look there first. If they are not there. It must be in the fuse box.

we have checked all the fuses and didnt find any bad i guess we will have to trace wiring. thanks

You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert