Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have an 03 Chevy Kodiak with a 3126 Cat engine. It lost

Customer Question
I have an 03 Chevy...
I have an 03 Chevy Kodiak with a 3126 Cat engine. It lost power and the engine died. I could not get it to start and had it towed. I thought it might have clogged fuel filters so I changed them. They were pretty dirty. It still would not idle. I took it to a local diesel shop and they replaced all the injectors and some sensors but it still will only idle for a while. Sometimes 20 minutes sometimes a shorter time. It will not accelerate. They charged me lots of money to work on a truck that still will not run.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/9/2015
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 2 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Has the fuel pressure been checked? Does the yellow or red engine warning light come on when it's running?

The fuel pressure and high oil pressure have both been checked. supposedly they are both correct. No engine lights have ever come on since we bought the truck 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

I would first want to check the fuel pressure. It should remain between 65-85 psi at all times. If it's low. You have either a faulty fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head. Or a weak fuel pump. I see this a lot.

If the fuel pressure turns out to be OK. I would next want to read the ECM for codes. Since the light does not work, it may have codes in the ECM. I would suspect a high oil pressure problem. I see this a lot on these theses. Or you may have a faulty ECM. When this happens there will be codes for all the injector circuits. This does not indicate bad injectors. It indicates a failed injector driver module in the ECM.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

They said they checked the fuel pressure and it was within normal range. If I remember right they said the high oil pressure was 1400 lbs. When I started researching before I took it to this mechanic, I thought someone talked about 4000 lbs. I think they were able to get a hookup for the Cat in the Chevrolet and there were no codes. They have suggested that it may be the ECM but they said it would be an additional $ 2300 and I did not want to replace it not knowing if it was bad. I don't think they replaced the fuel pressure regulator, but they did replace injector oil sensor and injector oil pressure actuator.

Thanks for the information.

The pressure can vary depending on load and rpm. Yeah it's tough when it's an ECM issue. The only way to verify is to install a known good ECM. If the engine has good fuel pressure, good actuation pressure. I must suspect the ECM if there are no codes.

In rare situations I have seen plugged mufflers do this because of a failed turbo. It may be worth checking the turbo and muffler.

If we try to find a used ECM in a truck salvage, can this just be put on and run? Does the ECM have to be "flashed" like on cars or does it have to "relearn" the engine?

Yes it will need to be programmed with Cat ET software to match the programming of the original ECM. Should only take an hour for a dealer to program.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert