Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have an ISC when turning 360 adjustment it goes back to

Customer Question
I have an ISC when...
I have an ISC when turning 360 for valve adjustment it goes back to TDC. I can turn 180 and valves 234566 open for adjustment. Can I be out of time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
When adjusting the valves on an ISC does one bar engine over the usual way clockwise. Or are we suppose to go counter clock wise.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2015
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

you bar the engine over in normal engine rotation CW

are you sure you had the gear timing all aligned when cam was installed

and when going from TDC, and 1 full turn it will be on TDC again

I pulled the cover off and rechecked the gears all lined up. I have followed directions per Cummins and when its time to adjust valves I can go 180 and adjust remaining valves. Is that correct.

Thank you for that

Yes that is correct ,

Hi

I see you request a phone call,

That is a extra $58.00 on top of the question value

what valves are you adjusting when you are on TDC #1 valves loose

1in 1ex 2in 3ex 4in 5ex at 12 in 22ex

HI

Well that is correct

what sort of problem you having

No start dead in the water

Thank you for that

are you getting any smoke,

it you hit it with a little starting fluid will it go

no smoke and will not start with juice

Thank you for that

OK, what you need to do is

put back to TDC #1 valves loose

recheck all the valves again

make sure it is in time

Its getting fuel to the fuel rail and fuel lines. I pulled the injectors and there is fuel on the injectors. Should I replace the high pressure connectors for better fuel pressure.

Hi

What is your fuel pressure

need 4500-5000 to fire injectors

yes check and unplug injectors connectors

Any other suggestions on making sure its in time other than gears. Could I have missed something when putting cam back in. This is my first no start in 30 years. its also my first ISC. What a pain this one has been lol.
Don't have fuel pressure gauge but it appears by sight to be sluggish in pressure.

Hi

Yes, I have rebuilt engine for 34+ years

and then you get a sour one, That PI$$ me off

sounds to me you did everything correct

would not hurt to have the HP Pump look at , or get a Kit to replace O-Rings, and balls

The pump was pulled and checked half a$$ by someone that didn't have a clue. He put a gear on it and turned it that's about all. Is there any way the pump go out of time.

HI

Yes pump can be out of time, when he had it apart

here is a site to track and trace fuel flow,

this may help you

click here

HI

I am just following up with you

did my answer help you

Let me know Please

Hi

I'm Just following up with you

Did my answer help you

Let me know Please

Wayne, Journeyman