Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I just overhauled a 3304 with aftermarket kit, now it is

Customer Question

I just overhauled a 3304 with aftermarket kit, now it is using 1 gallon oil in a 14 hour period. Any ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me.

Yes it is very likely the rings have not seated yet. I have seen this many times with aftermarket parts. The best way to get them to seat quickly is to apply a heavy a load on the engine as possible. The heavier the load the quicker the rings will seat.

If after being heavily loaded for a while the engine continues to use oil. I must suspect an egg shaped liner. It's rare but I see this from time to time. If this is the case, you can spot the egg shaped liner after removing the head. The liner will have a different look as the rings are not touching all of the liner.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.