Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

I was wondering if you can help me out with this problem, I

Customer Question

Hello Andy I was wondering if you can help me out with this problem, I have a international prostar 2012 with maxforce engine and it has a problem, where the power steering oil resovoir is overflowing and leaking exessive oil from the resovoir cap, getting the whole exterior of the engine covered in oil, I CHANGED the air brakes compressor about 4 months ago cause it went bad, and I see that there's an oil hose going from the air compressor to the power steering resovoir and I'm thinking that's where is getting the excessive oil. I replaced the power steering resovoir and the cap to see if that was the problem but it wasn't , can you help me out with this problem, thanks
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Hi there ! Thanks for requesting me !

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

You should not have any hoses going to the power steering reservoir from the air compressor . can you send an image on here ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

If you can , take a few pictures and attach them to this chat using the paperclip button . Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Andy thank you for answering my question, and sorry I took so long to get back to you. I was checking again and I was wrong andy. the oil hose I was telling you about goes from the power steering pump to the power steering resevoir. Do u you think the pump went bad ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Ok so the oil seems to be returning to tank in excess . And the steering is hard too ? Is that correct ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Andy the oil is overflowing returinging back to the resovoir, and the steerig wheel somtimes shakes like it wants to get hard.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about the delay ! Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? I will look up your steering component makes and model and find some troubleshooting for you on this .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you andy I appreciate your help here are the last eight digits of the vin cn546681