Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

C15 losing 3 gallons aday oi; sample clean fuel sample good

Customer Question

c15 losing 3 gallons aday oi; sample clean fuel sample good water sample good! where is it going
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry was in a hurry the c15 accert twin turbo is a late 04 early 05 mxs motor. It started a month ago 1 gal every week. Then 2 gal a week. Now it's 3 gal daily. Truck is 550 hp avg 6.9 mpg pulling 40k to 46k between waco and houston. The oil samples were clean no coolant fuel sample was clean no distillates or contaminants. Coolant sample was clean granted we are just about replacing water every other day. No visible leaks no misses no loss of power (I wish my other to c15 would pull like this one). Confused! Read somthing on line about the precooler maybe cracked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hate to having a truck that could break down at any time! My drive is getting frustrated, I'm getting grey hairs worries if I need to get rid of the truck or fix some minor problem, but just when you think it's a minor problem take it to the cat dealer and get burned on repairs that should not have been done, because they are as confused as me and just trying somthing!
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.

Are there any signs of coolant coming out of the overflow tube? Is it wet or completely dry?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it was dry
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

If it is dry I would not suspect a leaking head gasket nor a failed pre cooler. When these fail and there is a loss of coolant. The coolant will be pushed out of the over flow.

So I must suspect a cracked head. I have seen this many times. Many times when they crack the engine will consume coolant as it gets burned in the exhaust. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was wrong on the sn # ***** is a bso engine don't I now if that would make a difference
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the information. No it would not make a difference. I would still suspect a cracked head. I am sorry.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.