Geoff
Geoff, Technician
Experience:  Fleet Maintenance Training Instructor at Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
11959872

2005 cummins ism370 has a throttle shut down issue. Doesn't

Customer Question

2005 cummins ism370 has a throttle shut down issue. Doesn't always do it but at times the check engine light flashes and then the throttle decelerates and forces the driver to pull over. minutes later the throttle is working again. We have replaced the throttle twice, changed EGR, new throttle position sensor. Not sure what's going on and can't get the problem diagnosed unless the truck is having the issue
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Geoff replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'd like to help. Have you been able to find out what the stored codes are for these check engine lights? Also, can I get your engine serial number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have not found out the codes. Trying to figure out best way to narrow down problem
Expert:  Geoff replied 2 years ago.

If there are active or stored codes, that may be the only way to know for sure what is happening. Otherwise you will just continue to spend money on unnecessary parts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find stored codes and if there aren't any is there any way to figure this problem out without continuing to spend thousands of dollars
Expert:  Geoff replied 2 years ago.

If the Check Engine light has flashed there are stored codes. The best way to find out what these codes are is to get a diagnostic code reader. Nexiq sells a wide variety at different prices. You could also have a truck shop scan it and tell you what the codes are for a small fee, without performing the repairs. Like I said earlier, I would not continue making repairs without all the information you can get from the engine.