Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Volvo d16. Engine oil gets hot and puts truck in limp mode

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/28/2015
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

clean your radiator with soap and garden hose

both sides, and the A/C condenser

if that does not work,

remove the oil cooler and bring to a radiator shop, and have it

pressured wash and cleaned, 1 or both of these will cure your issue

If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or more

If you need more info

Use the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating

Thank You

Tx Wayne. That is not the problem. New rad 8 months ago and pressure washed the condenser. Also brought it in to Volvo and all they did was change the sensor which I told them was working properly as the temp goes up and down smoothly. Just learned something new. Is I keep the rpms up over 1500 the oil temp doesn't come on. Normally once it reaches 114 Celsius it would always come on.
Engine temperature is often at 210

Thank you for that

did you do anything with the oil cooler

let me know

Just blew it out song could see daylight through it everywhere

Thank you for that

OK, lets step back here

coolant is 210 (little High)

rpm over 1500 and stays cooler on the oil

is this all correct

Coolant is not always at 210 but seems to be there quicker than it should When I keep rpm higher the oil still gets as hot but the alarm doesn't come on

Thank you for that

I am going to ask you to get a bottle of gas test

pour into radiator, and follow directions on bottle

you may have exhaust gases going into cooling system

which will raise oil Temp, and Coolant quicker

Is this gas test something you have to send away or immediate results
How does that play into the higher rpms preventing the alarm?

Hi

You get results in 30 mins of coolant mixture

Would the regen filter being plugged affect this at all?

Hi

Yes it would, but it would be in safe mode most of the time

That is whay I am suggesting the gas test

I live in a rural area. Phones a couple of shops in the city trying to track a kit down. Is this a kit that a heavy duty ahopmwould have or is it something cheap I can buy

Hi Sorry for delay

Most auto Parts sell it,

or truck dealers

kit is about $27.50

It may take a few days to get a kit out of the city

Morning

OK, keep me posted

Having a heck of a time finding this kit

HI

You can but it on-line from Amazon

click here

Wayne, Journeyman