Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

01 Peterbilt 379 w/IXS475 sometimes will surge under heavy

Customer Question
load/hard pull/hot weather. Sometimes is...
01 Peterbilt 379 w/IXS475 sometimes will surge under heavy load/hard pull/hot weather. Sometimes is the key word, and it must be the combination of those 3 factors for it to misbehave. I have a long list of items I have replaced, but the problem still exists. I"m a single truck owner/operator and can't afford $130.00 an hr. + dyno fees for a shop to attempt replicating the conditions, and I seriously doubt it would do it on a dyno anyway. Need advise, please!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
8/18/2015
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 2 years ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi my name is ***** ***** i would like to try and help if i can ! Can we start with the engine serial number please ? * digit number on the ECM starts with a 7

Do you still need help ?
Engine Serial # ***** ***** am not presently by the truck, but I will attempt to find the ECM # ***** are requesting when I return to it tomorrow
I will find the troubleshooter for this symptom .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgcher7l1qsd4is/3666259-t067-tr.pdf?dl=0
Try this link and follow it as best as you can ! Let me know if you need something else.
Andy...also noticed today that problem seems to occur when engine oil gets hot. Cummins has advised me that Peterbilt gauges are notoriously inaccurate, and if my reading of 275-300 were accurate, the engine would have shut down. Even so, the gauge is getting close to 300 and at that point, the sporadic loss of power begins. When oil cools back to a displayed temp of 275-285, the engine runs normally. This is the only constant that I can find with the problem occurring. Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Please follow the link as best as possible .
Sorry, but the #'s on ECM are no longer legible/visible. Is it possible to work with the engine serial# ***** provided?
Well, I followed the link provided, and since I am the owner/driver, I do not own diagnostic software or have a the capability of 'plugging in'....
I'm sorry if I wasted your/my time. I thought this forum would assist someone in my situation based upon symptoms. It sounds like you are geared more for assisting actual technitians who are stumped. Is that a fair assumption?
It's ok ! No worries ! I am here to try and help whoever I can . It's what i like to do . If possible , we can use Skype to talk about this further if you want .
Had a local mechanic 'plug into' truck, and oil temp issue appears to be nothing more than an inaccurate guage. 40° off at 170° so next step is replacing fuel lines. Appropriate?

Which fuel lines do you want to replace ?

I guess I'll replace the lines spplying fuel to engine from fuel tanks along w/line from lift pump to fuel pump. Not sure how old they are (possibly 15 yrs) and I've been told they degrade/colapse inside. I've actually experienced this on other trucks

Ok That is a good possibility . Especially if they are braided hose

They are. Will get this done tomorrow and load the trailer. Having unusally cool weather here the next few days (Oklahoma) so the real test will be when the outside temp. exceeds 90 again. Will keep u posted. If problem still remains, I may be stuck with having it strapped to a dyno and trying to duplicate issue while being monitored. That's what I'm trying to avoid.....big $$

We can keep tackling it till the problem is resolved

OK. Thanks

Have a good evening !

Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! I see the question is still open . Do you need further assistance ! Let me know !
Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated . Thank you .
I give up. Replaced all fuel lines. Did great for 24 hrs. As of 30 min ago, it's barely running. Praying for it to catch on fire
Ok so do we believe there is air getting into the suction side of the pump ?
Not a clue. Not going to risk stopping until I get to receiver 90 miles from here. Here's a clue.....rougher the road, rougher it runs
Max manifold pressure 18 and fluctuating wildly
Ok this definitely sounds like a wiring issue ! Because the rougher the road , the more wiring will bounce around ! You should try running it at a higher rpm in fast idle ,parked , and then wiggle the entire harness everywhere that you can see wiring while it is at a higher rpm and listen for any changes in sound from the engine while doing this . If there is change while you are wiggling in a specific area , then that will be where your problem is !
If that is all good , then perhaps we are looking at a faulty temp sensor somewhere giving the ECM the wrong info , therefore the ECM is calculating based on that info and either overfueling or underfueling. We need to try and do a cold soak check . This is done by leaving the truck alone for a few hours and let it cool down to ambient temp outside , then connecting with a scanner or software and a laptop (insite program preferrably ) and checking all the temperature sensors at that time . They should all be reading very close to ambient temperature in your are at that time . Also the pressure sensors should be reading zero psi . This is all checked with the key on and engine off .
It will have to go to shop. I've exhausted my capabilites, patience and resources on this thing. As soon as it's running, I'm getting rid of it. I can't use a truck that has let me down as much a s this one has.
Before giving up , I would please try setting the engine at 1500 rpm , and at least do the wiggle test while its running ! Going by what you just described , you will very likely find the problem this way .
Will let you know. Should be at delivery point in 1.5 hrs (if it makes it there)
This may sound far-fetched, but while inside getting coffee this morning, there was a lightning strike on the property. Possible this could have affected electronics? It sure knocked out everything at the store
Ok! Like I said ! Set rpm to about 1500 RPM , then open hood and grab harness and wiggle and twist it anywhere you see wiring particularly loose and not properly secure, especially over the valve cover ( common area for trouble in harness) wiggle and twist inch per inch at a time while listening to any changes in engine while running . Wherever it acts up while wiggling is where your problem will be . Also follow and shake the ECM clean power feed harness which starts from the batteries and goes all the way to the ECM . This is another common problem.
As far as the lightning , I am going to say no ! Not unless it hit it directly . The truck is all sitting on rubber so we should be good there .
Just wondering. Had a Freightliner with a close strike and lost ecm and most guages
Unless it had contact with the ground somehow I don't think it was related . I am told rubber insulates from lightning strikes unless directly struck by lightning . Check for codes to be sure .
Getting gray smoke as it is missing...normal?

Yes this would be raw unburnt fuel . Is this happening while wiggling harness ?

If you are seeing anything happening that changes while wiggling harnesses , anything at all , then that indicates that the problem is right where you are shaking the harness at that time .

I went to 1500 rpm and wiggled everything, and it didn't change. It's r i nning worse by the minute

Have you wiggled and inspected the clean power feed harness from the batteries ? This is the smaller harness leaving the batteries . That is where the ECM grabs its power

Nothing changes
Barely running.

I feel you're problem is related to the wiring somewhere for sure

Please turn the engine off , disconnect the smaller 4 pin connector on the ECM and check for damage .

I f no damage is found , please load the power and ground at that connector using a headlamp with both beams .

If light comes on bright and remains bright for 30 seconds lighting up both beams , then the circuits from the batteries are likely ok .

I have to nurse it 8 miles to be at destination and safely off road

Ok I have to run an errand! Be back in awhile !

Unloaded and headed over to the only fuel stop in this little town d o ic it doesn't restart, I'm not in the way

ok sound good ! I will check in once in a while for updates .

Turned it off for 30 mins., started toward home. Better (for now) but still not right by any means
The farther I go, the worse it gets. Trying to limp it to OKC (225 miles)

Please give me the engine serial number

It is an 8 digit number on the valve cover label or on the ECM label .

14016438

Thanks

ok On this one , it will be the first connector closest to the front of the engine .

OK. It's likely going to force me to stop somewhere along the way. I will let u know when that happens. Would like to keep it rolling while I can

Once unplugged , you should load test using a small headlamp from pin 38 to pin 29 with the key on . This is your ignition power .

If you want to continue this using skype we can have an audio conversation and get through this .

Are you at a garage where you can work on this ?

No. I am in the middle of west Texas doing everything I can to limp this thing back to civilization

Ok then ! Try disconnecting and reseating this connector and all the power connectors for the ECM harness from the batteries to the ECM . Anything you see that comes apart along the way should be inspected and reseated . If you see any damage along the way , repair it as best as you can in the conditions you are in.

I will do that if/when I stop. Can't take ANY chances on this thing being stranded out here

Then you should probably continue til you get to a garage

I can't help you till you are ready to troubleshoot this.

Had to stop twice now. Each time, after turning the engine off for about 5 mins. When I st a rt it up with it runs great for afew miles, then starts surging again
Yup this is electrical for sure .
Agreed. Strange that it 'resets' so quickly. Switched it off/on 4 times now
but probably because the weak connection is getting worse .
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician