Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2004 Detroit series 60 that has no voltage to all

Customer Question
sensors. The truck was fine...
I have a 2004 Detroit series 60 that has no voltage to all sensors. The truck was fine until I gave another truck a jump. Now it will accelerate at all and there is zero voltage at all sensors.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Now it will NOT accelerate at all and zero voltage at all sensors.**
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/14/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you.

If you have no voltage going to any of the sensors on the truck, does the engine even run? The truck shouldn't be running at all.

Is this a EGR or non EGR? 2004 was a split year on that.

What sensors are you testing that have no voltage? There should be a fuse down near the batteries that goes to a size 6 or 8 cable that feeds the ECM. It will be a smaller red cable. Chase it and see if that fuse is blown. If it isn;t there, check to see if it is at the starter. If you look HERE at the diagram, in the middle of the diagram at the top, you can see the wire that ends at the plug. That is the power wire that feeds the ECM to power the sensor. Now if the truck IS RUNNING and you have no voltage going to the sensors, the ECM is bad. There is no way around that. If the tuck IS NOT RUNNING then check for that fuse for the power.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

It does have EGR (unfortunately).
Tested the following sensors: throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor, Fuel pressure sensor.
There are 3 fuses at the batteries including the smaller red cable that you mentioned. All 3 fuses are good.
There is zero voltage at the above mentioned sensors, both with the truck turned on and off.Are you 100% positive that my problem is a bad ECM? If so, how do I know exactly what ECM I have? Can you tell me by the VIN number?Thanks for the help.

If the truck runs, then the ECM is getting power. The ECM then sends power out to each sensor and a rads the return voltage back. That is how the ECM works.

In the ECM you have what is called EEPROM chips. There is one for injectors, one for sensors, one for EGR, one for A/C, one for transmission module signal, and one for the cluster. When one burns out, it affects that system on the ECM which is what you are experiencing. That is why I asked if the truck runs or not.

All the ECMs are done by VIN and engine serial number. Most of the Series 60 Detroit engines for the DDEC IV EGR use the same ECM no matter the year of the engine. You can get one used if needed as long as it is from a DDEC IV engine from 2003 on up. Those are EGR enines. The plugs will all be the same. You will just have to get the ECM programmed to the truck for it to operate properly.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it is the ECM based on the info you provided me and I wrote how I was able to determine in the info above.

If I find a good running ECM that came from a similar Freightliner Columbia/Century like mine, do I still need to get it programmed in order for it to work?
Also, could there be some kind of a problem or surge with in my truck that causes the ECM to go bad? If so, what do I do to make sure it doesn't happen again to a different ECM?I found a local shop here, that rebuilds ECM's. What's your opinion on a rebuilt ECM for my truck? Rebuild vs Used ECM?

If you can find a running one, the ECM will be able to run the truck for testing, but the ECM may throw codes for it won't communicate properly with the chassis module. I've had some plug and play with no issues and others that I had to program and match the software revisions.

Rebuilt ECM is good. They will replace the burnt out EEPROM chip and do the program there on the bench for you.

On the surge, what can cause it is a bad alternator. The regulator in the alternator will spike up and cause the excessive voltage and burn the ECM. So it wouldn't hurt to have it tested.

On not happening again, always remove the positive cable of the jumper cables on the fully charged truck first. This keeps the dead battery truck from sending a spike back to the ECM of the charged truck. What most likely happened is the dead truck may be having ground or alternator problems and when the truck started, it spiked your batteries which sent that power as a back-feed which hit your ECM. To prevent this, I run a jumper post to the back of the trucks and put a inline fuse on the jumper post instead of connecting directly to the batteries. This way if there is a surge and I have to jum off another truck or reefer unit, I don;t have the risk of the back feed to the ECM.

Good morning. I just did a voltage test on the 416 pin (w1) in the 30 pin that's on the ecm. No voltage output with the ignition off and 5.0 volts with the ignition on.
I believe the w1 is the sensor power supply. If it is sending out power, do you still think that the ecm is bad?
it wasn't the ECM. It was a faulty sensor that was knocking off voltage to the rest of the sensors in the truck.

That is EXTREMELY rare to happen... The sensor must have been a complete dead ground to cause that problem.

At least it was found. I will make notes of that because I've not had that happen to me in all these years, not like that... Thank you for teaching me something new.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician