Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Curtis, I have a fuel issue with a Detroit 60. It is leaking

Customer Question
hey curtis, I have a fuel...
hey curtis,
I have a fuel issue with a Detroit 60. It is leaking behind the front cover and between the engine block and the head. It leaks quite a bit when running. it has lost some power when pulling, and it has a hard time with starting. if it sits for a few days we have to pressurize the tank to get it running again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 day by:
8/14/2015
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

There are no fuel lines on the front of the head at all so it sounds like either there is fuel leaking elsewhere and it is running up to the front of the engine or you have a serious issue with a blown head gasket or cracked head.

The power loss could be due to the fuel loss or it could be compression loss. Do you have any fuel mixing into the oil? Does the oil feel thin at all or does the truck seem like it is "building oil level" when driving?

I would get the truck into a shop and have the engine checked to narrow down where the fuel is coming from. Hopefully it is the fuel line going to the ngine and fuel is running up and not the head being cracked.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician