Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

96 Volvo wah 64 Detroit 60...cranks no start. starts with

Customer Question

96 Volvo wah 64 Detroit 60...cranks no start. starts with ether. No rpms indicated when cranking no oil press indicated when cranking. No Check engine light for 5 secs. only light is Engine fluids and lo air press. Had this problem 6 months ago. Scan tool read rpm from the computer...
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved the wires on the engine side of the ECM checking for broken wires etc and majically the problem went away. now its back 6 months later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Truck runs down the road fine...just cant shut it off without risking it not starting. This is a car hauler and its very expensive to tow. Local garage aren't very good with controls issues
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they replaced the oil press sensor last time. I checked the ecm connections and gave em a wiggle no luck. Its a crap shoot if it will start after the starter is disengaged before the ether runs out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems like voltage is too low to ecm when cranking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no codes stored. did have problems initiating communications with the scan tool last time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
engine brake and cruise control work fine once your rolling
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a new TRS and SRS that I was going to put in last time this happened....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The local shop also installed a new coolant level sensor. But as I understand it the only sensors involved in starting are the TRS and SRS.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with the engine running I just read codes 25 which is no codes and 34turbo boost sensor low voltage....that doesn't make sense unless the 34 is a stored code and now there are no active codes
Expert:  go-west.. replied 2 years ago.

have you load tested the constant power wires to the ecm with a headlight by chance ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not load tested the supply with a head light. The power connector is the top connector on the right top of the ecm? Opposite the injector connection. Use a round halogen or incandescent bulb? There's a big difference in wattage...
Expert:  go-west.. replied 2 years ago.

Yes sir it is the 5 pin connector. At the back, top

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are 2 power and 3 grounds in that connector. I found lots of references to the infamous headlight load test in forums but none explained the test procedure, type of headlight, conditions for the test or the acceptance criteria. Not satisfied with your answer so far