Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

I have a 2008 international 4300 last 8 of vin is 9H163133

Customer Question

I have a 2008 international 4300 last 8 of vin is 9H163133 when you try to start it will start and run for about 5 to 10 second then shut of like u turn the key off has one active code 143
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Code 143 is for incorrect cam signature. Have you tried another cam position sensor? It is located on the front cover by the water pump .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
The function diagram for the CMP sensor includes the
following:
• Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor
• Electronic Control Module (ECM)
• Fuel Injector (INJ)
• Engine lamp (amber)
Function
The CMP sensor provides the ECM with a camshaft
speed and position signal. The ECM uses this signal
with the CKP signal to calculate engine speed and
position.
Sensor Location
The CMP sensor is installed in the front cover, above
and to the right of the water pump pulley.
Please copy and paste link below :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zo6cr3fl406etz/cam.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried a new cam sensor
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Is that the only code you have in memory ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea that's the only code when key off it goes inactive then u start it and runs for 5 seconds and code goes active.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

What does the connector look like? Any spread terminals inside causing intermittent connection ? Have you tried tug testing the wires on the back sie of the connector one at a time ? I have found sometimes that the factory crimp on the terminal is too tight and sometimes breaks the wire inside it casing sometimes causing intermittent connection .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems to ohm out
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Yeah but the funny thing with checking resistance is that you could have the proper resistance one minute and then the wire shifts over and now you have OL . I have seen break in the wiring just behind the connectors especially because the facotry crimps too tight which eventually weakens the wiring at that point . If the harness looks fine everywhere else with no rubouts anywhere , then I would try replacing the terminals in the connector to see if that cures it . You have a new cam sensor in there already so to me , that would be the logical next step. ALso try reseating the ECM connectors . Sometimes disconnecting and then reconnecting it gives everything a new clean connection again .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will check tomorrow
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Ok one more check would be to check the IPR valve connector as well. check for spread terminals , and tug test wiring hard behind the connector .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok got the plug apart the crimps are good
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Ok! Then the problem must be at the ECM connector or inside the harness somewhere.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update on this ! Any luck ? Happy to assist further if needed . Just let me know.
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end! Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated . Thank you .