Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My power steering on 2005 Kenworth w900 is stiff. It has

Customer Question

My power steering on 2005 Kenworth w900 is stiff. It has power steering but not working well. Pump was new last year, steering sector was new last year, all new ujoints in steering shaft, new king pins and shackle bushings. This has been a problem off and on for awhile. I have a power steering analyzer tool but everything seems to check ok. Pumps 4 gpm consistently no matter what rpm.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for delay
Is it stiff turning wheel to turn or when wheel is returning to neutral position? Or both.
What are you using for p/s fluid?
Has filter been changed or checked?
Hows steer axle tire wear?
Measure from front spring pin zert to ground on both sides when sitting on level surface what is the difference in height?
Do you use a fifth wheel slide plate or grease?
If grease is it dry?
Do you have this issue bob tailing and with trailer?
Hold fifth wheel so it is level,(I use a block of wood under back side) what is the height to ground? Both sides what is the difference side to side?
If you have a steering analyzer what is pressure you gave just the flow?
Only the sector shaft was replaced? For a leaking seal I assume.
Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steering is stiff when turning the wheel and coming back to neutral. It's definitely in the steering system somewhere. Just sitting in shop turning wheel standing still. The entire steering sector was replaced along with all the ujoints on the steer shaft. The pressure 1000 psi when turning both ways
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for information but I need all the information I asked for to give you the best possible answer to your problem.
Does this mean you replaced steering box? (The entire steering sector was replaced)
I also forgot to ask are any of the springs touching the shackles and do they all take grease good?
You said you replaced all bushings did you use new pins?
How many blocks under each spring and do they both have at least the one thick block underneath?
Are shims under springs and is thick part facing front or back?
Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Filter has been changed. Using ATF in system. Steer axle wear is good.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Since you won't answer my questions I'm going to opt out.
The questions will go back on open board for other experts to respond, please don't reply to me or question will come off open board and get stuck on my questions.
Good luck