Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

We just put a cam in a 3406 E and it will fire with starting

Customer Question

We just put a cam in a 3406 E and it will fire with starting fluid but not on its own any tips on priming the system?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
Normally using starting fluid gets the speed up enough to get the fuel primed.
Does the engine have a hand priming pump? If so does it get stiff?
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No E models dont have priming pump and yes engine light is on
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
The best way to prime is to loosen the return line on the back of the engine. Then crank the engine. When all the air gets out, just tighten the line. Then it should be fine.
If the engine still does not start. There may be another problem. I would suspect the timing sensor.
To confirm I like to check AC power on an injector. During cranking. You should have 20-40 AC. If you do not. I would suspect a faulty timing sensor. Or problem in the harness.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.