Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

2002 cat 7.2 runs and shuts off runs and shuts off fuel

Customer Question

2002 cat 7.2 runs and shuts off runs and shuts off fuel filters are clean fuels clean
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
Could you elaborate on your problem please?
When you say it runs then shuts off. Does it do this everytime you start it?
Does the red engine warning light or yellow check engine light come on just before it shuts down?
When it shuts down, will it start right back up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yellow comes on before stall
Restart not always sometimes 10 to 20 mins
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.
Since the light comes on, I would like to try and pull the two digit flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.
Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cruise
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see. Thanks for the information.
There are several things I have seen cause an engine to shutdown like this along with a yellow check engine light.
The first and most common is a problem with the injection actuation pressure system. This is what activates the injectors. A problem with this system can be caused by many things. The first and most common is a faulty HEUI pump. To test a high pressure 5000 psi gauge is needed to connect to the outlet of the HEUI pump.
Second is a faulty IAP sensor. To test you can install a high pressure gauge into the head and compare the reading to a service tools reading. And lastly is a leaking injector.
You could also have a faulty engine ECM or faulty engine speed timing sensors.
To be honest, I would hate to guess or throw parts at the problem. It would be best to have the codes in the ECM read. This will help determine the exact problem.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 1 year ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.