Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

2007 4300 dt466 ac not working. I need an expert who will be

Customer Question

2007 4300 dt466 ac not working. I need an expert who will be available from about 9pm PST (california) until ?? I have a code 29:2 612_14a. So replaced the thermister. New & old one fine. Wiring fine. Still getting active code and no compressor turn on.
I know ultimately I may have to get a new computer that controls the hvac (I assume thats on the interior side of connector 4004). How can I fix this without buying a new computer?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should detail my request a bit better. It would be nice to have someone available tonight from 9pm PST thru to?? But if no-one answers me within 45-60 mins I will accept anyone willing to help. Reason being is I am not with the truck until AT LEAST then and I cannot let this drag on for days so would hope I could do more than 1 diagnosing/repair procedure to get it fixed sooner. If u arent available when I am at the truck it becomes tough for me, but understand your side. Thank-you!
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi There ! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! Do you have Skype ? We can continue on there if you wish and have an audio/ video conversation where we can diagnose together.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
We don't have to use Skype if you don't want to ! We can continue on here ! It's just that it is a lot slower . With audio Skype , I can be diagnosing with you along the way until we find the problem .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats cool, but I do not have skype (but sure I could figure it out). I would like a bit more help, (and waz hoping YOU would respond). I've seen some of your previous chats and found u to be the best Especially for this problem. Anyhow Skype may be no good until I am with the truck later tonight in 5 or 6 hours, at which time u'll prolly be sleeping. Lol
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Ouch ! Yes , I am eastern time !
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Skype is free and once you have downloaded and installed it , just accept the additional offer i sent you and I will give you my private skype contact name . You just search that name on Skype and message me .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am available to skype tonight before you go if you want ! I can send you the info you need before you go tonight . Just let me know when you are ready to go . Thank you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to install Skype, but I couldnt because my phone & tablet were BOTH too full. So unfortunately we gotta stick to email. I believe my short is IN THE HARNESS OR THE COMPUTER.
>
The wires coming off the thermister (the one on top of the receiver dryer) have no shorts and have continuity right the the firewall harness. However when the harness is plugged into the firewall (& not into the sensor) they show a resistance of 2.36M ohms. --- The other thermister shows an open circuit in the same situation---
When the thermister is plugged in, it then shows a resistance of 1.76M ohms. So somehow I need it to read just the thermisters resistance!!!
Thats where I am at now.
FYI... Code is. 29:2. 612_14
Inlet thermister out of range, open circuit (which it is NOT)
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Good morning . When I get home from work today, I can send you some wiring diagrams for your specific truck . There are splice packs in the harness for the AC wiring that helps us to be able to use as test points . Please send me the last 8 digits of the vin so I can send the right diagrams .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vin. 7h456562
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info ! Sorry it's taking a while to get back to you . Had issues with ugrading to windows 10 !
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you wanna Skype !
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1ilgv6tlqgxftc/S08315.pdf?dl=0 Here is the wiring manual for that truck !
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you wanna tackle this together over a Skype audio session to get it going over if you will be ok without it ! Thanks and please do not forget to rate my service at the end ! Feedback is important . Bonus is greatly appreciated . Thank you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I could try to figure out skype session somehow tomorow or sunday....? Does that work for you?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am good right now if you want ! We could figure this out whithin an hour or so together over skype .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the truck is out on the road. So it would be kinda useless. Thats why I was saying tomoror or sunday.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Ok I see ! So I will be around on the weekend in and out ! Best thing to do is start the process by accepting the additional offer I sent you , then , I will give you my skype contact in a special private box . From that point , you just install skype if you don't have it already and search for my skype contact . Just send me a friend request or call me and we can setup a time . Also , once you have my skype contact , you will be able to reach me from there should you need me in the future .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
D you still need help ? I had to fix my truck yesterday but should be around today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, unfortunately I am dealing with a severe illness in the family and that has consumed all of my recent time. I am hopefully going to see the truck tommorow (today-Tuesday) around 22:00 PST. I will be able to spend some time with it then, and go thru the elec wiring manual u sent me. For that reason (it being so late in the evening; I believe 01:00 your time) I dont think Skype will be beneficial to me (us). The [extra] cost of $37 for Skype, on top of my original $85 is gonna make this an expensive fix. (This isnt my truck and I am NOT getting paid to fix it!!). I can write everything via text for u to go over and hopefully it would help you to solve the problem.
Upon looking how the circuits are wired, they appear to begin at the computer, go directly to the thermistor and then go directly back to the computer. To me, that means that as long as those two wires are not chaffeds, and shorting to ground (which they are NOT) then the only other reason the circuit would be faulty is because of a fried computer. Am I wrong? Are there any other ways for this circuit to short? I am reading the electrical manual u sent me incorrectly? Is there another caused for the thermister circuit to read 1.5 M ohms (I believe thats the resistance when I plugged the two molex connectors back together and took my reading at the disconnected thermister).
Does any of this give u any ideas as to the open short??
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
I will send you diagrams needed . I believe there are splice packs to check .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cldevnngfbp8h7i/hvac.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8np0yaq5dkbiy7k/hvac1.png?dl=0
Sorry about the delay ! If you need anything else , please let me know! Happy to help out further if needed .
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end ! Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ! Just looking for an update ! Do you need more help with this ? Let me know ! Thanks
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end . Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated . Thank you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im going to see the truck tonight and I am going to look for the ground ref splice. The connector 4830 I understand is by the power dist. Block. So when I find it, I will be looking at pins 'g' and 'h' which correspond to J9J and J9K which are the two grounds for the thermisters.
When I look at the pins, should they go right to a chassis ground? Or do they run into another connector where they get their ground from?Or Could I just cut the two wires out of the splice connector and run them to a new ground?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
They all go to an electronic ground called zero volt reference ground . It cannot just go to chassis ground .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will be at the truck in about 90 minutes, so I hopefully will see a wiring problem at the splice, cause after that I guess it would be the computer that is pooched....? I will let you know!!
And I am not forgetting to rate your help, which I will definaty do when we figure this out....and I will be more than happy to hook u up a BONUS!
I have 55 trucks that me & one other guy have to maintain, so hopefully you are versed in freightliner (FL60,80,M2 & F650,750). I dont have anything I need answered yet, but an sure I will....just gotta get this truck going first!
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
There will be a splice pack by the wiper motor and then another by the power distribution box on the left front fender . The grey wires are for zero volt reference. There will also be green wires on the one splice pack and those are also for HVAC. Tug test each wire individually one by one behind the splice pack . Don't be gentle . Pull each one hard enough. I have seen the wires break inside their casing behind the terminal crimp cause intermittent connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok great. |I couldnt find the truck last night, so I'm gonna look for it again tonight. I think I know where it is, so I will give it a shot. Thanks!
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Ok and we can diagnose together using Skype if you want but in the evenings as I work days at the dealership .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ! Just lookin for an update ! Did my answer help you at all?
Happy to help if you still need it ! Let me know ! Thanks
Please do not forget to rate my service at the end ! Feedback is important and bonus is appreciated. Thank you .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I found a wire in the ground splice that might have been broken in the sleeve, but it didnt totally fix it. Its still got the same code we've been fighting with, and now its got a:
1:7
613_14a
AND
150:1
2023_14p
And the other old two
AND my driver thought it might have worked for about 20min, but then the a/c light came on on th dash, which it didnt before....
Whats that about now?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Have you done any freon work to this recently ? Do you know for sure that there are no leaks in the system? Is it full of freon to spec. You should have 2 lbs of freon in the system.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
I will check on those codes !
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Here is one :(###) ###-####/AAC service now - low chargeAt the current operating ambient temperature the system has lost so much charge that the compressor must be shut off to prevent damage to it or other system components. The "A" at the end of the code means active and if it has a "P" at the end , it is previously active Do you have any other Active codes ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey, I wanted to send you a quick message thanking you for all your help up to this point. Unfortunately the truck was in an accident just after we last spoke and it is now out of service for a while. I'm going to go ahead and approve or accept your answers because I don't know how long it will be in the shop. And I know you gave me nothing but excellent help and answers. Thank you very much and I will contact you as soon as I get the truck back and it is running again because I know the air-conditioning has not fixed itself . Lol
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Thx for the kind words. See ya soon hopefully!
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session . Feedback is important and bonus is apppreciated. Thank you .