Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

Trying to determine the differance in top stop injectors and

Customer Question

Trying to determine the differance in top stop injectors and non top stop
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this Thank you for Requesting me A Top Stop injector has the injector travel set within the injector, and this is done by the injector rebuilder. Top Stop injectors are normally set in the engine using a "zero lash" setting on the "base circle" of the camshaft injector lobe. This has become know as the "Inner Base Circle" or IBC method. The Top Stop setting would have to be set considerably short in order to crack an injector cup. It is however, a simple matter to measure the injector travel to see if this is why the injector cup cracked. A Top Stop injector with an incorrect Top Stop setting is not a common scenario. A Non Top Stop injector has the injector travel set when the injectors are installed into the engine. If this Helped you please Rate My Answer 3 stars or moreIf you need more infoUse the request Button, not a Poor/Bad Rating Thank You Wayne