Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 3406 have a new head and had bottom half redone all

Customer Question

I have a 3406 have a new head and had bottom half redone all new liners motor ran great was sitting for a while then 1 at day an hour driving it started smoki g white got hydro locked I found out old mechanic that got fired put 1 gallon of antifreeze in fuel tank cleaned out injectors and cylinders runs good but now blowing water out of radiator again and hydro locked again any ideas
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for asking your question and requesting me. I will try and help you out.
If it is hydro locked and was smoking white and pushing out coolant. I suspect coolant has gotten on top of one of the Pistons. I have seen this before.
This can be caused by a leaking head gasket, cracked liner, cracked head. Or if it's an older B model that has a jacket water cooler on the intake. It may be leaking.
I am sorry. I wish I had better news.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just had everything done is that possible what effect does the anti-freeze that got put in the fuel you think that could've messed something up
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Antifreeze in the fuel should not hurt the engine and cause it to hydrolock or push out coolant. It may only damage the plungers in the fuel pump because antifreeze has no lubricant.
Even though the head and miners were replaced. There must be something going on since its hydrolocking and pushing out coolant. You may have gotten a defective head or liner. I have seen it before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK so I should pull the oil pan gasket pressurize the system and see if I'm getting any anti-freeze down below the devil mitis it down to what cyli OK so I should pull the oil pan and pressurize the system and see if I'm getting any anti-freeze down below that will narrow it down to what cylinder and if not the head u think
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How should i check the liners and the head
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Yes I agree. Pulling the pan and pressuring the system is the best way.
The head would need to be sent to a machine shop to test for cracks. To inspect the liner, it's best to remove it. Many times cracks are hard to see on the inside. It's easier to see cracks on the outside of the liner.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 years ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.