Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
30303843

I have a 2006 Cummins ISX (ENGINE SERIAL # *****) that we just replaced the gear housin

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Cummins ISX (ENGINE SERIAL # *****) that we just replaced the gear housing gasket and harmonic balancer on. Engine ran fine for over an hour at idle and for most of a test drive when it suddenly started to derate and blow white smoke. Coded SID 64 FMI 7. Replaced both the crank and cam sensors. Now truck doesn't want to start and is coding PID 190 SPN 02. Ideas?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ! Sorry to hear you are having trouble! My name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help if I can ! Thanks for the info ! I am currently at work, but will send you the troubleshooting for these faults after work if that's OK ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never heard back from you. Are you still able to assist with my question or should I try to reach another mechanic?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about that ! This code 190-2 is for engine speed sensor fault . we need to check and make sure the connection to the ECM and to the speed sensor are OK. No spread terminals or seals missing ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checking now. Can you tell me what pin on the ECM is for the signal return for the crank sensor and cam sensor? It has gone back to PID 64/Flash 731, and when we play with the crank sensor it evens out some and smokes less. It was initially running fine, and given the other developments we are thinking it is an electrical issue and we need to know how to test the circuits for these sensors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never mind, I found it myself.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am currently at work and answer what I can from here over breaks . I will send you the troubleshooting today after work . This is a freebie . Do not rate my answer . Sorry about the time lag . It's been one of those weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. We are following the troubleshoot on cummins quickserve. Both sensors ohm out at the correct pins, have power and signal. Now we are checking all of the engine grounds. I don't see how the mechanical timing could have slipped when the truck was idling so good prior to the sensor coding and the engine derated. Since then we have gotten it to crank and run better by adjusting the crank and cam sensor positions slightly, so we are trying to eliminate electrical causes first.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good ! I am at home now and should be around to send you more info if needed tonight . Thanks.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Here is the description for Spn 190 Fmi 2 . It is cummins code 689 :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ji3yi8bmbmhofz/689%201.pdf?dl=0
And here is the troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkb0b0cbhsg37h1/689%202.pdf?dl=0
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help . Thanks