spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

What would cause the check engine light to come on and then

Customer Question

what would cause the check engine light to come on and then the coling fan comes on and the temperature guage goes to zero? this is a 60 series engine in a 2005 freightliner.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for your question.
Sorry for long delay.
Replace coolant temperature sensor after checking plug at sensor and wiring for sensor,,look for any signs of rubbing and corrosion.
The reason fan comes on is to prevent engine damage.
If the engine ecm does not see coolant temp the default setting is to turn fan on to protect engine because it does not know how hot engine is.This is the way it is designed.
Also check cab grounds there should be a ground stud on firewall.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see,
smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same
A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took
to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me
know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks
spanky